"500 yards...just shy of half a mile"

Z

z106

Excuse me for bing pedantic but this line seriously annoys me in the shawshank redemption.

500 yards is barely over 1/4 of a mile.

Re: "500 yaeds...just shy of half a mile"

Excuse me for bing pedantic but this line seriously annoys me in the shawshank redemption.

Your being pedantic,

Give the guy a break he had been locked up for 20 odd years, he probably was poorly educated :D

Your being pedantic,

Give the guy a break he had been locked up for 20 odd years, he probably was poorly educated :D

I refuse to accept 20 years of improsenment as a valid excuse.
He'll have to do a let better than that if he thinks that one will wash with me !

just watched it a couple of nights ago, it was on film4 I think, its a great story.

Ya - was on again tonight.

And i was waiting for the line about 20 minutes before it happened.

Just really bugs me for some reason.

Like - why didn't the writers instead say "500 yards - over 1/4 of a mile".

Or else say "800 yards - just shy of half a mile"

But why say "500 yards - just shy of half a mile"?

It's all wrong.

Ha Ha I hear you. I try and turn the thinking part off my brain off when I watch tv. for example I dislike watching any CSI or Law and Order, there are too many inconstitenties and why do all the suspects fold so easily?

What I want to know is he how he got the poster to stick to the wall after he left the cell.

Jeez - I wish I had your problems if that's all thats bothering you

Sorry for being a little school marmish .......... but your headline makes no sense in it's present form ......... unless it's a typo ......... and that could seriously annoy some spelling obsessive.:D

If you search for 'yaeds' on google, this post is the first one returned! Shows how quickly google indexes pages.

This coming from someone who once levelled the phrase "i'd hate to meet you when you have a proper problem to grumble about" at me regarding my views on fingerprinting at airports ... ehh hello pot!! :rolleyes:

Has anyone considered that this 'mistake' may be intentional and is simply character related? Maybe Red wasn't great with his measurements etc?

Human beings are not always correct and this is ocasionally reflected in literature/movies etc.

OP, have you written to the director? He may release a directors cut with the offending line fixed or removed.

Has anyone considered that this 'mistake' may be intentional and is simply character related? Maybe Red wasn't great with his measurements etc?

Human beings are not always correct and this is ocasionally reflected in literature/movies etc.

I considered it - and then dismissed it.

It was red doing a voice over -at that stage in the movie i don't think there would be any need to give examples like that about red being poorly educated.
We were just after sitting through a couple of hours watching the guy spend his life in prison.

Obviously i can't say with certainty that it wasn't done on purpose.

I'm not sure i see the point though.
Most people probably wouldn't even notice it anyway.

I'm not sure i see the point though.
Most people probably wouldn't even notice it anyway.

A lot of people wouldn't have a clue how many yards are in a mile. Not suprising as they stopped teaching this in school over 20 years ago.
G'wan the metric system!

Showing your age qwertyuiop :)

Sorry for being a little school marmish .......... but your headline makes no sense in it's present form ......... unless it's a typo ......... and that could seriously annoy some spelling obsessive.:D

Headline corrected as kindly pointed out.

While your on to the director about the distance please mention this as well -

Andy crawls through 500 yards of an 18" sewage pipe to escape the prison. The ancient sewer pipe would have been filled with methane gas, carbon dioxide and ammonia fumes and too little oxygen to support the exertions of the escapee in the time required to crawl the distance. He should have passed out and suffocated shortly after beginning his escape. Additionally, when he first breaks the pipe it shoots up like water pipe under pressure. Once inside, the water is not moving. And when he gets to the stream that this supposed sewer pipe drains into, the water is pristine.

But the story is based in Bush-land, and any internationally recognised laws of physics, distance, nature, human rights and reality have all been repealed by the petro-dollar. :rolleyes:

or maybe it depends on which version of the mile is inferred - have a look here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile

Does "The Green Mile" bug you as much? :)

Back