5 years on ppr before you can rent

Ceist Beag

I've looked for this before but couldn't find an answer since so just in case there is anyone out there who might know - I know you have to wait 5 years before you can rent out your ppr if you intend to move but keep the property as a rental property. However I can't find anywhere that states exactly which date acts as the start of the 5 years. Is it when you sign the contracts, when you place the deposit, when you make the first mortgage repayment or some other date?

I know you have to wait 5 years before you can rent out your ppr if you intend to move but keep the property as a rental property.
This is not correct. If you rent out a property originally purchased as a PPR within 5 years of purchase then you are liable for a clawback of stamp duty. But you are not prevented from renting before the 5 years are up.
However I can't find anywhere that states exactly which date acts as the start of the 5 years. Is it when you sign the contracts, when you place the deposit, when you make the first mortgage repayment or some other date?
When you take beneficial ownership of the property - i.e. close the purchase and get the keys as far as I know. Ultimately the date recorded with the Land Registry/Registry of Deeds for the transfer of ownership would be the final arbiter I imagine.

Cheers Clubman - yeah sorry I meant to state that I was referring to renting out in the context of being liable for stamp duty.

Back