3rd Level Grant Question

T

TrumpetMan

Hi.

I have 2 daughters begining their 2nd year at college this year.
One is at UL and the other at LIT,both in Limerick.
They recieved full maintenance grants last year 2007. However, I was made redundant in Dec 2007.
I understand that in making a claim for a grant in respect for 2008/2009, my income from 2007 is assessed. I also recieved a lump sum when I finished work. How will the lump sum be calculated in relation to my claim for maintenance this year? I was employed with that company for 12 years & recieved €31000 redundancy.

Hope someone can help

TIA

Was in a similar situation some years ago and as far as I can remember the lump sum was averaged out over the working years ie the 31000 was divided by 12 and the result was added to the other income of that year.
If you are not working at present or on low income you should inform them of your changed circumstances.
I think you should talk to your local County Council or VEC explain your situation and ask their advice

Many Thanks Black Sheep.....That answers my question very well.

Thanks Again

Was in a similar situation some years ago and as far as I can remember the lump sum was averaged out over the working years ie the 31000 was divided by 12 and the result was added to the other income of that year.
If you are not working at present or on low income you should inform them of your changed circumstances.
I think you should talk to your local County Council or VEC explain your situation and ask their advice

I second that, my parents had similar conversations with Fingal County Council and they were more than happy to help out.

As the others said call them and ask.

I was in a slightly different scenario where I was working and gave up work to go back to college. Hence, my salary was going to drop as I wouldn't be working. I was concerned as if it was based off the previous years salary I would not have been entitled to it. However, they explained to me that if there is a change in circumstances, e.g. no longer working, then this is taken in to consideration.

They may have averaged it out as others suggested, but if that was the case I'm not sure that I'd have got the full grant which I did. All documentation, etc.. was filled in correctly. But could have completely miss-understood the process.

Useful link on the whole grant situation:

Back