35,000 to invest

kate156

Hello
I have 35,000 to invest for at least 5 years. right now it is sitting in my currnet account, earning no interest.

can anyone advise a risk free place to put it, perhaps post office saving cetificates ?. I do not want to risk it being reduced to below 35,000 when the time comes that I want to close whatever account I put it into.

many thanks
Kate

Just be careful that a Bank doesn't try and talk you into an Investment product. They are experts in conning the public.

Ok, there's a difference between your situation (5+ year time horizon) and the one used in this article, but I think people should read it to clarify the poor return cash and bank deposits provide:

[broken link removed]

Camel, correct, but there is little point in investing in product and to keep paying Management Charges every year. In some funds these are near 2% annually, which over a long period certainly adds up. People do require to do their own research and not to be enticed by horrible greedy manipulative sales persons, that are working on commissions.

for a large lump sum (like above) for best deposit return and safety is the post office a no brainer? No dirt good rate etc... I have a large amount myself to put away for a while and have an aversion to the "actively managed" funds by "experts"

Fidelity have just launched 25 no-commission funds worth a look. They operate under the iShares brand (no connection btw)

If you're looking to avoid high management fees, maybe examine ETFs.

Very soon on the Irish market there will be a facility to place funds in a very large Financial Providers Investment and Pension funds at zero / nil Management charges. The FP already has €5 billion under management, so this will attract many investors.

Camel, I agree with what you say about ETFs. However don't be mistaken that they cannot go down. It is simply not possible to beat the market.

It is simply not possible to beat the market.

Well that's obviously not a true statement.

In any case, I'm not advocating ETFs, I'm just putting it forward as a low cost investment vehicle. Nor did I say it couldn't go down. There are multitude ETFs out there. If the OP want to track the market then that's fine too, just buy an EFT that does that.

Back