34 married, single income with mortgage - how to be more tax efficient & retire early (the dream?!)

alanalanalan

Personal details

Spouse’s/Partner's age: 45

Number and age of children: 0

Income and expenditure

Annual gross income from employment or profession: €150,000 basic, plus performance based pensionable bonus ~ €30,000, plus guaranteed non-pensionable bonus ~€10,000 (used for approved share purchase scheme annually), plus €15,000 in RSUs or Stock Options
Annual gross income of spouse: Currently €0 (on career break from local authority - previously €30k/annum)

Monthly take-home pay: €7,000 (after pension contributions/AVCs, excluding bonus)

Type of employment: Private Sector

In general are you:
Saving approx €1,000/month

Summary of Assets and Liabilities
Family home worth €450k with a €290k mortgage - interest rate of 2% with 3 years remaining on fixed rate
Cash of €25k
Defined Contribution pension fund: €180K
Company shares : €20K

No other loans
or liabilities

Family home mortgage information

Lender: Haven
Interest rate: 2%
Type of interest rate: Fixed
If fixed, what is the term remaining of the fixed rate? 3 years

Remaining term: 18 years
Monthly repayment: €1,519

Other borrowings – car loans/personal loans etc
None

Do you pay off your full credit card balance each month? No credit cards

Other savings and investments:

Do you have a pension scheme? Occupational pension scheme - employee contribution 4% plus employer contribution 8%/max out on AVCs annually up to age-based cap (so typically ~ 18% total contribution)

Do you own any investment or other property? No

Other information which might be relevant

Life insurance: Lump sum of 4 x salary payable to spouse plus value of pension.

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

Trying to understand the best way to plan for the future and what it would take to retire early, but comfortably, at 50 or 55. My spouse is currently on a career break and not paying into any pension - would starting a PRSA be the best option to ensure security across both of us into retirement and to divert some bonus € in a tax efficient way? I am already maxing out AVCs.

Just opened a Trade Republic account and will shift monthly savings to there to avail of 4% interest rate. Mortgage is in a good place currently with 2% rate. Don't owe money to anyone or any institution with exception of mortgage.

In a situation where we have a significant income but never have much left over at the end of the month - had a number of unexpected outgoings this year (death of a parent with funeral costs, unexpected travel costs - am also financially supporting family member monthly). Have no long term investments, knowledge of options is relatively low (with exception of retaining some company shares annually).

Trying to understand how to make the most of what I know is a fantastic salary while it lasts, be as tax efficient as possible (is that via a new PRSA to be set up by spouse?) and prepare for the later stages of life! Should I start looking at longer term investments? ETFs? Stocks? Just keep saving at 4% in Trade Republic? Thanks!!

You’re pretty much doing all the right things as things stand.

Keep maximising your tax-relieved pension contributions and throw anything left over at your mortgage. Maybe wait until you roll off your current fixed-rate and pay a lump sum off the mortgage at that point.

I wouldn’t bother with after-tax investments while carrying mortgage debt and your spouse can’t get tax relief for pension contributions if s/he has no taxable income.

Keep it simple.

Does your spouse ever plan to go back to work?

How many years paying PRSI does your spouse have?
He is looking to potentially become a sole trader in next 2-3 years, but likely not returning to PAYE employment ever. He has >1,200 PRSI contributions - approx. 24 years full time PAYE working. He won't get full state contributory pension unless he meets the 2,080 PRSI contributions so we do need to plan for the future in that regard, and I am not sure of the best way.

Re the supporting family member financially, is that a parent? Arey they over 65? If so look into Deed of Covenant, won't be much extra if qualifying but why not if you can!

Re the supporting family member financially, is that a parent? Arey they over 65? If so look into Deed of Covenant, won't be much extra if qualifying but why not if you can!
Thanks Monbretia! (My favourite flower by the way)

Good catch - I did have a Deed of Covenant set up for exactly this purpose, but my dad died this year and my mother is under 65 and does not meet the qualifying criteria so looks like there's no way to transfer it across.

Thanks Monbretia! (My favourite flower by the way)

Good catch - I did have a Deed of Covenant set up for exactly this purpose, but my dad died this year and my mother is under 65 and does not meet the qualifying criteria so looks like there's no way to transfer it across.
Ah well at least you are aware of it.

Looks like a good track.

Have you a good grip on your outgoings? You suggest 7k net with 1k savings after costs including what seems to be a relatively manageable mortgage/interest rate. It's very easy when earning six figures to let cost of living creep up and get no real value from doing so.

Back