30% tax rate for returning emigrants?

Gordon Gekko

I was busy today so I'm only catching up on the news now.

Mary Mitchell O'Connor floating the idea of a 30% effective tax rate for returning emigrants.

Mother of God. The citizens who put their shoulder to the wheel continue to get hammered and the plan is to reward the people who legged it?

You couldn't make it up!

If a 30% tax rate is such a good idea for people working in fields that are in demand internationally, why stop at returning emigrants!
Bonkers stuff.

This may just put off returning emigrants as it draws attention to how they'll be milked when their special rate expires... compared to whatever rate they are paying wherever they currently are.

Nurses are threatening to go on strike because new entrants are paid less than workers who were there before them... How about the citizens who put their shoulder to the wheel going on a tax strike if this comes to pass?

Last edited:
FG making it up as they go along. I cannot see their budget getting passed in the Dáil, Blue Flu will be back with a vengence in the form of strikes.

I was at an event at which she spoke recently.

She reminded my of my Mum...a nice woman, but not someone who should be a cabinet minister.

The highly skilled workers they are trying to get back didn't leave out of necessity, they left because they wanted to. Then "Boxer" Moran says the emigrants to get a package to help them with the costs of moving back!!! and helping emigrants should be a top priority?!!!

Who's going to pay for these relocation costs and reduced taxes? The schmucks who stayed and took the pay cuts and the increased taxes?

Moran wouldn't pay his water charges but he wants us to put our hands in our pockets to pay for flights for high earners to come home?

Is it amateur hour at the Dail?

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Maybe if the proposal was to lure top people back and parachute them into the Dail, it'd get more traction.

We truly are living in an era of total gombeenery.

Back