2nd house abroad you do pay stamp duty right?

colc1

I just wanted to confirm you do pay stamp duty on a house abroad if you already have a residence in Ireland. While I am talking about homes abroad if you buy your principal private residence abroad do you still pay stamp duty?

I just wanted to confirm you do pay stamp duty on a house abroad if you already have a residence in Ireland

AFAIA only if Stamp Duty is payable in that country. (UK for example). The SD is payable to revenue in that country.

While I am talking about homes abroad if you buy your principal private residence abroad do you still pay stamp duty?

See prev answer

Stamp duty differs from country to country. It does not matter what your status is in this Ireland. You will have to pay according to the rules in the other country.

You may also be liable for other taxes as well - e.g. property ownership taxes/rates in the foreign country, rental income tax in the foreign country and/or Ireland etc. Get independent, professional advice from somebody with tax knowledge of both jurisdictions involved if you are seriously considering this as an investment option.

You do not pay Irish stamp duty on the purchase of a foreign property.

You may be liable to foreign stamp duty depending on the country [or no taxes (e.g. Dubai)]

Back