250 monthly maintenance question

summersun

250 monthly maintenance question

I pay 250 monthly maintenance to my ex girlfriend for bills for my daughter, ex also gets basic welfare supports as daughter relies on daily kidney dialysis,.. ex pays a small mortgage on one bed apartment, is it correct that up to 95 euros a week paid by myself would be offset against mortgage and not regarded as means by the department of social protection

any views greatly appreciated:)

Here's the relevant paragraph from the One-Parent Family Payment information on SW website:

All income from maintenance is assessed as means. This includes maintenance for you and maintenance to you for any of your children. If you are getting maintenance from more than one person it will be added together and the total will be assessed as means. However, your rent or mortgage repayment up to a maximum of €95.23 per week can be offset against maintenance payments. Half the balance is then assessed as means and your social welfare payment will be reduced by that amount. You must provide proof of rent or mortgage payments.

If your ex is in receipt of One Parent Family Payment and feels that the maintenance hasn't been assessed correctly, she should call into her SW office for more information.

thanks, the supports that my ex gets is half the carer's allowance and the supplementary welfare allowance, would the 250 a month be counted as means or offset against mortgage repayments, any tips appreciated

All (or nearly all) income is assessable for SWA - if she's on a basic weekly payment, the amount of maintenance and carer's should be deducted from her weekly SWA entitlement.

If she's in receipt of Mortgage Interest Supplement, the carer's allowance is disregarded, but the maintenance is not.

Back