21yr old back from travelling, starting college

Blossy

Sorry, if this isnt the correct thread please feel free to move.
My younger sister has returned from travelling abraod, she worked in various bars etc and didnt stay put in places for too long. She has returned home to go back to college and has been accepted in a course. She returned at the start of the summer and couldnt find a stable job so she signed on.

On accepting the course she has informed Social Welfare that she is becoming a full time student therefore she looses her dole. she has applied for a grant and is not eligeable as she doesnt have an address or p60 or any documentation for the past two years.

She doesnt know what to do, she wouldnt have any documentation from working abraod either as it was across many countries in Europe. She isnt 23 to be classed as a mature student.

She feels she has done her travelling and want to improve her chances of getting a 'proper job' if she goes to college. what can be done.

She doesnt want to lie etc and she is totally independent of our parents so she has nothing there either.

Any suggetsions or info on her entitlements would be a great help??

i suggest that she does what pretty much every student does - try find a part time job and live the student lifestyle of eating pasta/beans, saving all your spare cash for promotion nights in the college bar ... the list goes on.

yeah i was in the same boat... part time job was the only solution..did nightshifts in mcdonalds to make cash

Im afraid I agree-p/time job and enjoy the college experience! Its all part of the criac.

I was in the same position and didn't get the grant in year 1 but I did get it in year 2 - make sure she applies again next year!

Thank you for your replies, i was wondering if anyone could answer and social welfare benefits/entitlements she could be entitled to. she has been looking for work, but as mentioned has no financial support from parents, and needs to put a roof over her head. one or two nites in a bar, wont pay for books, food, room etc.
She has filled out the BTEA forms so hopefully she will hear something, just she has only been on supplementary jobseekers as she was just in the counrty, although it isnt confirmed social welfare payment, does it still get included as receiving payment for the 6 months??

I don't think she'll qualify for BTEA as she does not meet the qualifying conditionbs fgrom what you say. Did she not read them before completeing the application form? There is no other form of SW she can claim.

purpeller, and all thanks for your replies, she is meeting with the CWO today so hopefully they will help her out!! i guess taking a year out to travel isnt such agood idea unless u have money to come back to! :(

Bad news for you - full-time students aren't entitled to Supplementary Welfare Allowance, so the CWO may not be able to do anything.

Spagetti hoops are only 19c a tin in Tesco, every student knows this.:)

Can she get a part-time job too?

Back