Health Insurance 2 adults 4 children

Mrs Vimes

We had insurance up to about 15 months ago and now need to get a new policy. Day-to-day cover isn't really important, just really need to know if one of us has something serious we won't be waiting years for help.

Price is of course important!

Looking at the HIA website it seems VHI start plan might be suitable?

Any advice?

Turns out VHI start plan doesn't cover the Mercy or the South Infirmary so now looking at One plan starter instead. It's over €500 more though!

laya assure protect is now the hot favorite! less than €400 more and covers all the public hospitals. Now to persuade them to waive waiting periods...

Hi Mrs Vimes,

I'm not sure if you included the 4 children on the plan. Regardless, there is a good offer with Laya from 1 January 2017 for children,
Essential Connect Family, you just pay for one child and the rest of the children go free, price 227pa.

If you did include them, you can still switch to that plan from Jan 2017, or if you were considering them, this is a very good price offer.

http://www.hia.ie/news/laya-healthcare-special-offer-essential-connect-family-01012017

Snowyb

Last edited:
Hi Snowyb,

thanks for that, the adult rate is much higher though so would be over 800 more in total. Better cover I know, but a bit beyond us at the moment.

Sybil.

Mrs Vimes,

The adults don't have to switch to 'Essential Connect Family', you can both stay on 'Assure Protect'. The children could just avail of this offer,
if it suits - 4 kids for the price of one 227euro. I know its a bad time of year and its probably way down the priority list, no worries.

For any other readers with a few children, even if its not your renewal date, you can switch them to another Laya plan at any time, to avail of any special offers.

Snowyb

Thanks snowyb, we'll switch them in January and presumably get a refund of excess premium paid? or a credit?

Back