1st time to get JSA . Will savings affect amount given?

Needtomove

Hi everybody

This is a hypothetical situation at present but I would be grateful if someone could answer this question for me please :

I have worked in Dublin city centre the last 20 years and paid childcare for my first two children....recently had a third little baby:))...commute is long and hours long so have come to the conclusion logistically I will more than than likely need to find a local job so will hand in my notice and look for one. In between jobs if there is a gap I will be appying for JSA for the first time ever so I am clueless:

1. How long will I have to wait for the dole?
2. I am.debating selling an apartment I have rented out and if I do I am expecting to net circa €50k post expenses, would this effect prospective dole payment?

thank you.....

It will be JSB not JSA.

JSB is based on your prsi stamp paid, as you have been working so long I assume you have a solid prsi record and you will not be means tested as this is effectively an insurance payout.

Jobseekers Benefit is payable for 9 months, however if you leave your job voluntarily you may be disqualified from claiming for 9 weeks initially, if you looking for work there is no reason why you should not get it after disqualification period. If you have not found a job by the end of the payment term then your option would be to apply for Jobseekers Allowance (link in above post), this is means tested so partner's income if applicable will be taken into account. If you do not qualify for that you could check if Family Income Supplement applies, again this is based on income so effectively means tested as well.

While on JS or JA you will have some entitlement to apply for training courses etc with whatever FAS is now called, once you drop off those systems and are on FIS for example you lose that opportunity, well there are still some available to you but not nearly as much choice.

Back