1st time insurance, full license short on Experience/named driving

niceoneted

Hi,

Putting this up for my brother who is about to inherit my soon to be old car. He is turning 29 later this month, has a full license since he was 20, he had named driving experience for 2 yrs when he lived at home but due to moving around with work and then going back to college he had no need for a car. He now needs one. He has been a named driver on my car for the last few months(and has been getting lots of driving in) but because it's less than a yr it doesn't count. Oh the 2 yrs he had previously doesn't count either as it is over 3 yrs ago.
Can any one recommend a company that might take those yrs into consideration. He is getting quoted well over 1200 euro - more than our 17 yr old niece who is just starting out with her driving and on a provisional license.

Thanks in advance. He is going to contact a broker tomorrow but any one who can give us the heads up would be great,.

Have a nose on the web at FBD, Hibernian, Eaglestar, Quinn and Axa. I'd say the main problem is that insurers are scared off by the fact that he has a full licence but no NCB. If it were me, I'd pick the cheapest TPF&T quote I could get for now, stay for 12 months and then have a good look around once I had some NCB.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Thanks, I rang around for him as he was up to his eyes. Got quotes from 800 to 1600. He took the one for 800 and will review it again next year when he has 1 yrs driving under his belt.
Thanks again.

Back