1901/1911 census occupation and occupation codes

seantheman

I'm doing a bit of digging on two brothers who owned a house near me.
One's occupation is listed as a national teacher,the other as farmer &c &c.Any idea what the latter means?

It looks like an abbreviated form of et cetera, et cetera ("&c, &c"). I would guess that means that he had other occupational activities to supplement his farm income - perhaps contracting if he had a horse and equipment, perhaps selling turf.

Can't answer your question but now you've got me searching the census, fascinating stuff! I found my grandmother's birth cert last week, born in 1902 so just had a look at the rest of family, fascinating!

Can't answer your question but now you've got me searching the census, fascinating stuff! I found my grandmother's birth cert last week, born in 1902 so just had a look at the rest of family, fascinating!
Thanks Padraigb,Yes wbbs it's easy to get lost in the census,started off looking for one thing and about four hours later having looked up half the parish i called it a day.

Yes fascinating,
my grand-uncles are listed as farmers sons, in the same column my grand-aunties are listed as nothing. Browtal

One of my relations is listed as a 'whitener' - not sure if it was someone who bleached cloth or someone who white washed buildings.

One of my relations dob has changed between the 1901 and 1911 census, I believe it was to hide her having a baby in her teens.

One of my relations is listed as a 'whitener' - not sure if it was someone who bleached cloth or someone who white washed buildings.

One of my relations dob has changed between the 1901 and 1911 census, I believe it was to hide her having a baby in her teens.
Here's a link to whitener description [broken link removed]
Codes here for occupations for 1911 uk census,some interesting ones here
http://www.1911census.co.uk/content/default.aspx?127
As regards the descrepencies in ages,I found that my great grandparents aged 20 years between 1901 and 1911.Nothing to do with the pension:D

Back