18 yo working at mininimum wage: Am I entitled to anything?

R

ritzi

I was up until recently living with family, there were problems and now I'm staying temp with a friend. It is near impossible to find accommodation with reasonable rates....or indeed accommodation full stop. I'm 18 years old......... I DO work, but minimum wage... I guess I'm wondering
Is there anything at all I might be entitled to...??

Sorry this sounds a tad desperate....

Welcome to AAM, ritzi, and sorry to hear about your hassles.

You should drop into MABS and ask (among other things) about [broken link removed] (you apply for this at your local Health Centre).

Good luck, keep your chin up, and I hope things improve...

Hi ritzi,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

On the taxation front. Have a look at this link on help with low pay:

See if any of it matches your circumstances.
Perhaps it would be worth paying a visit to a welfare office.

You can also get an under 26 youth card. This will allow you to get similar discounts as students on some shops, hostels, cinemas & travel. [broken link removed].

Is there any way that you could re-establish contact with your family? Or could you talk to a family (aunt or uncle) or other family friend? You appear to be in a very serious situation.

Prehaps another AAMer would have better knowledge of these matters?

D8L

Though a long shot, it may be worth contacting your local County Council - esp of you have support in the reasons you had to leave home (GP, Gardai etc.,). You should also be entitled to a medical card and contact your community welfare officer as well.

Back