12-15 month savings account?

jobseekr1

Looking at best fixed rate account for 12-15 month period..Would it be advisable to fix in for that time frame given the fact that some banks are looking to reduce rates, right now.
Would a rate 2.40 AER/1.90 (GROSS) over 15 months be a decent savings account? KBC have this an account for existing savers etc.
I’ve looked at the possibility of sticking it into regular savings accounts but then you are potentially into bank fees with each bank etc. (Or so I think).
Would be interested to get other opinions! Cheers!

Go with whatever is listed in best buys here... a regular savings accounts does not attract bank fees in itself - you can lodge the amount each month from your existing current account so no new fees (and if you're with PTSB, no fees at all!)

Looking at best fixed rate account for 12-15 month period..Would it be advisable to fix in for that time frame given the fact that some banks are looking to reduce rates, right now.

Rates are still on a downward trend. Nationwide UK (Ireland) offer some of the best fixed rates at the moment as per the best buy thread.

Would a rate 2.40 AER/1.90 (GROSS) over 15 months be a decent savings account? KBC have this an account for existing savers etc.]

KBC do not have an account paying 2.40% AER. You have old information.

Thanks for the above folks, the key post page is terrific, Ciaran KBC do actually have an account paying 2.40%.
I found out about it maybe a month back, when I enquired in a branch, and I was told there was an account available to people with existing accounts, if opened online only.
I logged into my account and there is an option to open a fixed rate account as follows...
Instant Interest Fixed Rate Deposit 15 Months 1.95% 2.44%
Would the above be a decent return or not Ciaran?
I'll definitely open a Nationwide account based on your input..The no fees thing looks attractive.

Thanks for the above folks, the key post page is terrific, Ciaran KBC do actually have an account paying 2.40%.

They don't. KBC do not have an account paying 2.40% AER.

The account you are referring is [broken link removed]. It pays 1.95% AER less 24 EUR+ in fees per year as it is mandatory to open a current account at the same time.

Little reason to open this account for most people. Nationwide UK (Ireland) will pay you 2.10% AER on a 2 year term deposit with no fees.

Thanks Ciaran for clearing it up for me, my bad.
I have money in the KBC smart access demand account 1.73%, (Rate will reduce to 1.50% Gross/AER effective 2nd February 2015).
Is there any quick online calculator to do the after DIRT rate on the Nationwide figures as outlined above? There doesn’t appear to be a calculator on the Nationwide site.
I need to do a calculation on comparing the KBC and Nationwide accs.

Last edited:
((Deposit)*(0.021)*(2)*(1-.41)) = Your after tax interest return with a 2 year term deposit with Nationwide UK (Ireland) assuming a 41% tax rate.

Thanks for the above Ciaran, got sorted with Nationwide in the end. Quite easy to open an account with them.
Your best buy thread is on the money!

Back