100,000 retrofit quote

Edelma

Hi,

We just got quoted 100,000 to retrofit our house. We would get a 20,000 grant. This would include a heat pump, attic and external insulation, new windows and doors and a new warm roof on a flat roof extension. We had expected the cost to be high but this higher than we expected! Just wondering if anyone has gone one stop shop, can you send the the assessment from one company to the others to shop around? We paid 500 to one company for the assessment and that is their quote.

Also wondering if that seems reasonable? House is a 1930s mid terrace with suspended floor and 2 story extension to the rear.

Not sure if my shock at the price is just misplaced. We are first time home owners but plan to be here for the long haul. We're 2 years into a 20 year mortgage and have 15,000 savings. Not sure if we should go ahead if it costs that much as we would have to get a green loan or if we should chip away at doing bits ourselves?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi,

We just got quoted 100,000 to retrofit our house. We would get a 20,000 grant. This would include a heat pump, attic and external insulation, new windows and doors and a new warm roof on a flat roof extension. We had expected the cost to be high but this higher than we expected! Just wondering if anyone has gone one stop shop, can you send the the assessment from one company to the others to shop around? We paid 500 to one company for the assessment and that is their quote.

Also wondering if that seems reasonable? House is a 1930s mid terrace with suspended floor and 2 story extension to the rear.

Not sure if my shock at the price is just misplaced. We are first time home owners but plan to be here for the long haul. We're 2 years into a 20 year mortgage and have 15,000 savings. Not sure if we should go ahead if it costs that much as we would have to get a green loan or if we should chip away at doing bits ourselves?

Thanks!
Difficult to say without more detail

How many windows and doors? What type?

I got external insulation all in 22k a few years back. Prob higher now

What type of attic insulation?

Heat pump- is it including new rads/underfloor heating?

No solar panels included in that?

The quote should have a breakdown of each component. You could look at getting individual jobs priced separately.

Also, you've paid for an assessment report. That should be shared with you, and you can give to other one stop shops for them to quote for the work. You should not need a new assessment report to shop around.

I paid ~€30k for attic insulation , external insulation a warm roof flat roof about 7 years ago. Door done at a different time were €1.2k.

So that sounds very steep.

I went to Airtricity for a one stop shop and paid €750 for their consultants report as to be honest, we didn't know where to start on this for various reasons. House is a 1970's 4 bed semi down the county

What I found interesting is that each of their staff we spoke to seemed to have obsessions around various things, one guy was heat pump obsessed, another could not seem to deal with 15 year old double glazed windows in his report. Anyway, we got a report at the end and for external insulation, heat pumps and solar panels the overall cost came to €89k inc Vat pre grants. The grants would have dropped it to €69k

Overall, not impressed with the one stop shop at all so we are going to individual providers. Have a quote from a local company where we know they have done work for the external insulation and got good reports from the homeowners for €10k less then Airtricity.

Waiting to make a decision on Solar and will probably drop the heat pump idea for now.

Hi,

Thanks!
I'm guessing a huge amount of this is for insulating the floors?

We have recently been quoted 110,000 for a 60's bungalow. External/Roof Insulation, windows, back-door, heat pump and solar panels. Energlaze said that 30,000 can be got in grants once it reaches the required BER. Nothing mentioned re the suspended timber floor!

We have recently been quoted 110,000 for a 60's bungalow. External/Roof Insulation, windows, back-door, heat pump and solar panels. Energlaze said that 30,000 can be got in grants once it reaches the required BER. Nothing mentioned re the suspended timber floor!
o_O
This is shocking. That suspended timber floor is likely one of if not the main culprit for heat loss. Was it even tested I wonder!

I would really urge anyone contemplating going with the grant aided one stop shop to ensure that their substantial investment is actually going to make a meaningful difference to either their energy use and/or their comfort.

Rant over

o_O
This is shocking. That suspended timber floor is likely one of if not the main culprit for heat loss. Was it even tested I wonder!

I would really urge anyone contemplating going with the grant aided one stop shop to ensure that their substantial investment is actually going to make a meaningful difference to either their energy use and/or their comfort.

Rant over
That's what I thought Mick'r. By the way, do you know if there are any effective above-timber floor insulation methods. Read about Floor foam but not sure of it's efectiveness.

N
That's what I thought Mick'r. By the way, do you know if there are any effective above-timber floor insulation methods. Read about Floor foam but not sure of it's efectiveness.
Not without significant;y impacting on floor height. Kingspan have a decent guide on how it should be done.

If I were the OP, I'd break it down into separate tasks and tackle one at a time as you can afford it.

Some things are relatively easy from a DIY perspective - e.g. attic insulation is easily done - get your supplies from a good builders suppliers rather than B&Q.

Window replacement is similar easy task for any decent company & it will be done in a day.

I don't think I'd advise heat pumps for an older house; but it's worth looking at solar, it depends on your roof/orientation, but check it out.

When it comes to suspended timber floors, the main heat loss culprit is convection heat loss (aka draughts, air leakage) and not conduction (which insulation addresses). Therefore a hugely effective (and relative cheaper) measure to consider without huge disruption internally is to seal the floor from wall to wall with an air tightness membrane (the current floor covering would need to be temporarily removed or replaced). This prevents the cooler outside air from coming up uncontrolled through the floor (or visa versa with warm internal air being lost through it) and does not change the ffl generally.
Doing this alone throughout the house could have quite a large impact in the overall heat loss equation.

If I were the OP, I'd break it down into separate tasks and tackle one at a time as you can afford it.

Some things are relatively easy from a DIY perspective - e.g. attic insulation is easily done - get your supplies from a good builders suppliers rather than B&Q.

Window replacement is similar easy task for any decent company & it will be done in a day.

I don't think I'd advise heat pumps for an older house; but it's worth looking at solar, it depends on your roof/orientation, but check it out.
This is what I'd do.

And I don't get the attic insulation quote, surely that's just putting down the attic wool stuff between the rafters, I did this myself with my brother one time. So it only cost the amount of the insulation from the DIY shop.

I'm also amazed at the OP paying €500 for an assessment. I'd have gone directly to a builder for quotes. And for his money OP should have a breakdown of all the costs.

This is what I'd do.

And I don't get the attic insulation quote, surely that's just putting down the attic wool stuff between the rafters, I did this myself with my brother one time. So it only cost the amount of the insulation from the DIY shop.

I'm also amazed at the OP paying €500 for an assessment. I'd have gone directly to a builder for quotes. And for his money OP should have a breakdown of all the costs.
He is probably talking about the Technical Assessment? Which is working out the exact details of heat loss per surface or space and looking at available options? You get some of it back if you go ahead.

The issue IMO is that the one stop shop covers windows and doors if putting in a heat pump, which isn't available as a grant in its own right.

Back