€500 a year for refuse collection : illegal dumping €0

Re: €500 a year for refuse collection : illegal dumping €0

The long and short of it is this should probably be moved to the Depths!

minion said:
Imagine Fingal telling people with one breadth that you have produce less waste or it will cost you

I'm not with you either. Why should I subsidise someone who doesn't bother to recycyle etc. It's YOUR waste - you pay for it!

That would be great philosophy in an ideal world. But the evidence of the real world seems to contradict it. When left up to the individuals to pay for their own waste, they seem to decline. Drive around rural north county Dublin on a Sunday afternoon and have a look at all the black bin bags, carpets, sofas, fridges, ovens etc lining the country ditches. If everyone had to pay a mandatory bin charge, no matter what, there wouldn't be any incentive to illegally dump like this anymore and instead the onus on people would be to just divide their rubbish into their green and regular bins.

The countryside dumping is starting to get out of control, especially around urban centres and the councils seems to be very slow in reacting to this problem.

Moderator note: this has turned out to be a Letting Off Steam issue so has been moved to the appropriate forum.

-- ClubMan

Polluter pays is a fine principle and a worthwhile one. A civilised society doesn't punish everyone just because certain people pay no attention to the law. The real issue is law enforcement, combined with serious penalties for those caught dumping illegally.

Would you consider using terries nappies?

We tried, simply a bridge to far for us, two in nappies is a lot

As an aside to the above response this thread has turned too much to the financial implication and is missing the greater cost of the environmental impact and who can put a price on that?
My two have seen serious recycling levels since they were born and they - at 2 and 3 - automatically put the recyclables in the recycle container in the kitchen, never mixing with "waste".
The interesting aspect of this is when we're visiting someone or another and the look on their - the kids - face when someone bins a plastic bottle or can or piece of paper and the adult in question has to answer a barrage of questions as to why they are not recycling, generally they lose the conversation as they can't explain in simple terms why they are not recycling when the logical thing is to recycle.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a pro choice person so I never push my "green" beliefs onto another - that my friend is your choice - and haven't coached the little folk to do so, but kids just say what they think, interesting...
Hopefully if todays crew are educated more from the early days our future generation can recoup the situation moreso than "us"

ClubMan said:
I'm not width you - perhaps you can explain?

Read the previous post to mine. The poster says 'Fingal have recently put up the price of their bin collection from €3:50 per bin to €6 and they're already starting to complain about people putting out less rubbish now'

I said 'Imagine Fingal telling people with one breath that you have produce less waste or it will cost you '

I'm all for paying for your waste. I'm not for paying for others waste, who waste more. A flat charge takes away the incentive to recycle, which i thought was the whole point in having the 'per ber bin lift' system in the first place.

We have a system where we pay 32 euro per month for a sticker which entitles us to have our main wheelie bin collected one week and the so called recycling wheelie bin collected the next.
All fine and dandy except they keep chainging their minds as to what constitutes recyclable material.
A sticker stuck to my bin clearly sates we can put clothes and shoes tied in pairs in the bin. Apparently they changed their rules so refused to lift my bin last week as it was quote 'contaminated' When I rang to query their actions I was told that due to the fact that there was a single jumper in the bin they were not allowed to lift it. Apparently they had changed their rules yet again as to what constitutes recyclables.
Now we already have a county council provided free service which allows us yto recycle newspapers, plastic bottles etc so I requested that I be allowed to avail of their regular waste disposal only. No can do so I still have to pay 32 euro per month and a lot of stuff which in my opinuion should be regarded as recyclable they class as regular waste....
Seems like a ridiculously expensive service.....

bb12 said:
.. and they're already starting to complain about people putting out less rubbish now

Interesting - where was that reported ? Did it mention when they'll be issuing brown bins ? They were mentioned ages ago, but no mention since.

I'm in Fingal and put out the black bin for collection every 2nd week. That's become more manageable since the little girl stopped using nappies.

And, based on the sight of the road on a Monday morning, very few of the neighbours put out a bin every week. Except for one family of 5 who not only have a bin every week, but also have a full black bin liner plonked on top of the wheelie. And they've no toddlers. Curious.

Fingal Coco are doing a pilot brown bin collection in certain estates in Skerries and Rush.

Minion said:

Originally Posted by minion
Imagine Fingal telling people with one breadth ...

To which ClubMan replied:
I'm not width you - perhaps you can explain?

I think ClubMan deserves Funny Post of the month for this one.

Back