‘Sorry you lost the money’: Couple loses thousands of euro of wedding savings in Revolut ‘ordeal’

So if I have someone else's credit card details
name
Address
CC number
CV code
Expiry date

Can I add it to my Apple Pay account and use away?
There should be some dynamic approval by the cardholder using a separate contact channel. But it's possible that this could be intercepted, e.g. by malware on phone or PC. The link I posted above claims precent for this, specifically targeting Revolut because of the limited channels used and the lack of a daily limit.

Was there something else in the context of the wedding? Some supplier where things felt a little off or someone took your card away to pay for something or it was out of your sight in some way shape or form?

I’ve heard that some rogue taxi drivers are copying people’s card details when they pay for journeys late at night.

Perhaps it was someone on this wedding trail where you pay for all sorts of things who managed to get your card details and your email address plus other info which enabled them to phish and then combine the various pieces of information?
Hi Gordon,

Only a bank transfer was made to the venue but it's a well known venue, I don't see any issues there. I bought a new Iphone 15 in November and handed over my old one but to an apple store in Scotland. I also don't see any issues there. I also have up to date avast on my phone and laptop.

I understand that at some point, somehow my card details were compromised but the fact that revolut have refused to help me or even listen to me at any point was the hardest to deal with. They told me to contact apple support, they told me to go to the police, they told me 5 times to wait and someone would call me. Never did they actually help. In fact, apple support couldn't believe that a bank had suggested to contact them for help - another thing that wasted my time.

I think the merchant was actually part of the scam as 10 transactions were made within 5 minutes. I think they only gave me the money back because I told them the police and interpol were on the way. I also (through the website designer) found the owner of the company on Facebook and messaged him.

the fact that revolut have refused to help me or even listen to me at any point was the hardest to deal with.

This is the biggest lesson for all of us to learn.

Don't put any money into Revolut unless you are prepared to lose it all.

I have a €200 limit. I would be annoyed if my card were hacked but I would not spend two months trying to get it back.

Brendan

I don't think people understand just how bad Revolut are when these sort of things happen so I feel for the OP. The reality is that it's much easier to get scammed on there and not have a favourable resolution. I think it's the nature of the fact that it's exclusively accessed via an app and used in conjunction with Apple/Google Pay - there's far less friction between the account holder and their money which provides for an amazing user experience but opens them up to all sorts of risks that can crystalise in seconds. Then, unlike the "mainstream" banks, when something does go wrong Revolut don't want to know, adding insult to injury.

I really think the likes of SEPA instant is going to compound this sort of thing.

The reality is that it's much easier to get scammed on there
I disagree.

With my Revolut card I can turn on and off:

Online transactions
Swipe payments
Contactless payments
ATM withdrawals.

I can set a withdrawal limit and I can block the card itself too.

I’m not a customer of all domestic banks but to the best of my knowledge none of them have all these product features.

I disagree.

Online transactions
Swipe payments
Contactless payments
ATM withdrawals.

I’m not a customer of all domestic banks but to the best of my knowledge none of them have all these product features.
Not to mention with Revolut, I get a notification when ever it gets used. If my card is being used without my permission then I know about it straight away and can take action like blocking the card. With EBS (and I assume other Irish banks) they can drain my account completely and I won't know until I check my online banking which could be days later.

I disagree.

Online transactions
Swipe payments
Contactless payments
ATM withdrawals.

I agree (even though I was the one that had the money stolen) that Revolut is safer in the way that you can control your card and set limits, freeze, put money in vaults than a regular bank.

The issue is that when you need help there is none. That's the bottom line and it's what I found incredibly difficult to deal with. I was already extremely upset having had the money stolen and then being messed about on their 'help chat' for 16 hours a day and being told to "wait" for a call that never came even weeks later.

A lot of their messages didn't even make sense and were all jumbled. When something this serious happens and you have a large amount of money stolen you hope that a bank would at least take you seriously.

I disagree.

Online transactions
Swipe payments
Contactless payments
ATM withdrawals.

This happened to me recently when I lost my card while out walking. Managed to cop it within 20 minutes and rather than having to rush to get the card stopped I was able to just initially move all my money from Main to Vault account. An hour later someone tried tapping in a Spar which made it clear in my mind it was indeed lost rather than left at home by mistake. Glad it worked out for the OP, well done for sticking it out.

T
Not to mention with Revolut, I get a notification when ever it gets used. If my card is being used without my permission then I know about it straight away and can take action like blocking the card. With EBS (and I assume other Irish banks) they can drain my account completely and I won't know until I check my online banking which could be days later.
This is what I also would have assumed but when I woke up I had 10 transactions out of my account. Perhaps if I had been awake and seen the transactions coming out I could have stopped them by freezing my card.

T

This is what I also would have assumed but when I woke up I had 10 transactions out of my account. Perhaps if I had been awake and seen the transactions coming out I could have stopped them by freezing my card.
Maybe a lesson in there for all of us: Freeze the card when not using it or before going to bed. I already switch off as much as I possibly can with my cards and only enable when needed. My German cards let me select exactly what countries in the world (by region if I like) the card will work in at payment terminals so if it's cloned it will only work at a payment terminal in the countries I have enabled. The reality is that a cloned card is far less likely to be used in Germany or Ireland than certain other countries in the world. Revolut allows "location based security" to be enabled which is a form of AI I guess. I would like to see them add the ability to explicitly switch off payments in selected countries/regions like my other cards. I'd be curious to know was "location based security" enabled in your case Bobby. It's disabled by default I believe.

Maybe a lesson in there for all of us: Freeze the card when not using it or before going to bed. I already switch off as much as I possibly can with my cards and only enable when needed. My German cards let me select exactly what countries in the world (by region if I like) the card will work in at payment terminals so if it's cloned it will only work at a payment terminal in the countries I have enabled. The reality is that a cloned card is far less likely to be used in Germany or Ireland than certain other countries in the world. Revolut allows "location based security" to be enabled which is a form of AI I guess. I would like to see them add the ability to explicitly switch off payments in selected countries/regions like my other cards. I'd be curious to know was "location based security" enabled in your case Bobby. It's disabled by default I believe.
This is another mystery as it's one of the first things I checked after the money was stolen - The location based security was turned ON. I took a screenshot of this and sent it to revolut but they said it wasn't turned on.

I think having the card frozen works but last week while in a shop I didn't have signal and wasn't able to unfreeze the card so I could use it. So not 100% ideal.

You can set monthly spending limits on each Revolut card. If you usually only spend €1,000 a month then you set it to that and you can later increase it if need be. That way you can have as much as you want in your account but scammers can never take more than the remaining limit.

Bear in mind that all card providers have to deal with cases of collusion involving account holder and scammer, and sometimes even the merchant too.

I use Revolut as my main card and I think it is way too much hassle freezing and unfreezing the card when not using it. Definitely more secure but a lot more hassle.

I disagree.

Online transactions
Swipe payments
Contactless payments
ATM withdrawals.

OK, so I use Revolut daily & wasn't aware of these controls. It's probably fair to say that they have the best tools to guard against fraud so. I would say there's a fairly limited awareness of all those things though and that you are far more likely to be victim to a scam via Revolut in spite of that functionality, and if unfortunate enough, far less likely to get your money back.

Back