Key Post UK State Pension - Make voluntary contributions to qualify for UK pension on top of Irish pension

When adding bank recipient and business in revolut and adding sort code and account no its asking for company name and email

Am I doing something wrong.
HMRC didn't give this information
I followed the instructions given in Post #495 by 3CC and it took my payment

Hi All, have a query, got both letters one to pay 17 years and one for 23-24, looking at the payment options, I read that from an overseas bank account is only possible if you live or work temporarily abroad, it states a different way to pay if class 2 if you live abroad permanently, when you click into this it’s as if you need to start the whole process again. I had tried to pay be Revolut before reading the information properly, from my UK Revolut but had issues with the reference so abandoned that idea, I think the best way to pay is by Bank Draft, would you agree or is there a way to send by online bank transfer, I just can’t see it. Thanks for the great information, really appreciated it.

It does and when you go online and you follow the instructions- choose overseas payments, the following is what I see, top section if you live or work abroad temporarily and second part if live or work abroad permanently, this take you back to the beginning complete the form, or maybe I’m just missing something, sorry for asking again, but can’t seem to see the online transfer option for permanently living abroad. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3,348
I did it online but from my own BOI account with the info in the letter. Although their account is sterling, you have to add extra to cover all the fees. I think I added an extra 30. I had to set them up as a Payee and wait 48 hours before i could pay as sum was over 1000.
Good luck

It does and when you go online and you follow the instructions- choose overseas payments, the following is what I see, top section if you live or work abroad temporarily and second part if live or work abroad permanently, this take you back to the beginning complete the form, or maybe I’m just missing something, sorry for asking again, but can’t seem to see the online transfer option for permanently living abroad. Thanks.
Its directly below; you have the page folded by the look of it.

Hi Brid1990,
That's an interesting change that you have noticed with regard to working abroad temporarily versus working abroad permanently. I will check my notes , but I think it's fair to say that everyone (??) on this forum has used the bank details that they supplied for people who work abroad temporarily... as the words temporarily and permanently seem to be new.

Hi Brid1990,
That's an interesting change that you have noticed with regard to working abroad temporarily versus working abroad permanently. I will check my notes , but I think it's fair to say that everyone (??) on this forum has used the bank details that they supplied for people who work abroad temporarily... as the words temporarily and permanently seem to be new.
Thank you, and for checking.
Use the reference in the example given
sorry, my query is not to do with the reference number it’s to do with how to pay if temporarily or permanently living status, you will see on top of page, finding it difficult to get the info when permanently living abroad, thanks.

Can someone who is 69 apply for this. It looks if I'm reading it right that they can and they pay at the higher rate(class 3). The person in question has 3 years of contributions from the 80s or is it too late now that they are past retirement age. Also would this be back dated if they do qualify. Thanks in advance
Hi Guys, Just a follow up here if anyone knows

I paid my additional NI contributions 2 weeks ago. Out of interest, what are people’s experience of how long it took HMRC to update your online record?
Just a short update. I phoned +44 191 203 7010 today (25 min hold) and they advised that they received my payment on 3 May and that it will take approx 6 more weeks for my online record to be updated. As I owe 1 more year to receive full pension, I was advised that they will write to me in 2025 to collect the final payment. I paid using Revolut to sort code 08 32 20, account 12001004. The account name is HMRC NIC RECEIPTS. Finally my reference was my NI number followed by IC and then my name, e.g., AB123456ZICMURPHYA

Last edited:
Just a short update. I phoned +44 191 203 7010 today (25 min hold) and they advised that they received my payment on 3 May and that it will take approx 6 more weeks for my online record to be updated. As I owe 1 more year to receive full pension, I was advised that they will write to me in 2025 to collect the final payment. I paid using Revolut to sort code 08 32 20, account 12001004. The account name is HMRC NIC RECEIPTS. Finally my reference was my NI number followed by IC and then my name, e.g., AB123456ZICMURPHYA
Hi Mulder.

Thanks for that update. I just did the same last week so that gives me a bit of confidence that all will work out fine.

Just a note to anyone else reading this, the sort code and acc number I was given was different. So make sure you use the info on the letter you are sent which it seems is specific to the individual.

Hi Mulder, That's interesting. Are you paying from abroad? I thought the account details above were for those people paying from a UK bank account. Maybe you could clarify also if it was a Sterling Revolut account ? HMRC advised me that it would take up to 30 weeks before the funds were allocated to my NI number. I have paid from abroad to the other account listed on their website (i.e. (IBAN) - GB49 BARC 2020 4830 9447 93 ). 6 weeks v 30 weeks is a big difference.

Hi Mulder, That's interesting. Are you paying from abroad? I thought the account details above were for those people paying from a UK bank account. Maybe you could clarify also if it was a Sterling Revolut account ? HMRC advised me that it would take up to 30 weeks before the funds were allocated to my NI number. I have paid from abroad to the other account listed on their website (i.e. (IBAN) - GB49 BARC 2020 4830 9447 93 ). 6 weeks v 30 weeks is a big difference.
Before paying, I saw that the HMRC website gave the above details but stated that this IBAN should be used if you live or work abroad temporarily. Given that I am permanently based in Ireland I gave HMRC a call and queried it. I was told that I could use the sort code and account number suitable for UK banks if my bank allowed me to directly input the UK Sort Code and Account Number. Revolut does that so I used Revolut with the only noteworthy change is that I edited the reference from “sent via Revolut” to my NI number etc. as per my original post. It seems to have worked fine based on my conversation with HMRC today. Hence my post.

Good shout to call HMRC for clarification on the temporarily v permanently living status. I am permanently based in Ireland too. This temporarily v permanently living status classification was noticed by Brid1990 in the last week also. It wasn't there a few weeks ago when I transferred funds. I have a printout of the same web page that has no information relating to temporarily/permanently. So it looks like there is now another way of paying that has the potential side effect of a bonus that the funds get allocated a lot quicker. (Strange that being permanently abroad you are advised to use the UK account details and the result is potentially faster allocation of your NIC contributions. I can't quite figure that in my head, especially as all recent written correspondence from HMRC advised to use the IBAN GB49 BARC 2020 4830 9447 93). Let us know if your funds get allocated in about 6 weeks time.

Back