Would you put a ceramic hob in front of the window?

chrisoz5

I would love opinions / advice on this as contemplating doing this with a ceramic topped range 100cm wide, most of the big kitchen places have advised against it, but some of the smaller places have said yes, they have done it alright. it would make my kitchen look so much more proportional, and I'm not too fussed about an extractor as I rarely turn on the one in our present house anyway, the top bit of the window and side opens so not too worried about steam, there is no view, only back wall in new house.
thanks
chris

Isn't the sink in front of the window normally to provide as much light as possible? Would it be anything to do with heat and glass nearby that makes the suppliers avoid this layout?

sorry! there are 2 windows, the sink is going inthe other window with the better view, and the window ledge will be about 10cm higher than the worktop, not planning on having curtains, perhaps a window blind but probly not as out in the country and no neighbours behind us.

Sounds a nice idea alright to have a view rather than a tiled wall when cooking. The only problem might be splashes when cooking going onto either blind or window and as mentioned earlier the possibility of a fire but would have to say if one was careful it does sound a good option

I love the idea of it alright, and as you say splashes might be a problem, but I was thinking that quite often now you can buy a glass splash back so why now use the window instead? I'm still undecided but keen, just all the designers put me off when I'm in there but when I come home and look at the space, it seems nuts not to put it there

A hob under a window would be a significant fire hazard. You would not be able to put any window covering in place, blinds, curtains etc., no ornaments, flowers etc. on the window sil.

Will the heat affect the window frame? Also, reaching over to open or close the window while the hob is hot could be a problem.
Leo

Sounds like a lovely idea, and I have a glass splashback with no problems.

Would the steam not cause a discolouration of the window if uPVC. If timber windows it could cause the timber to crack over time, the steam may also cause the hinges and locks etc to rust on either window types.

In fairness I spend as much time in front of the hob as the sink, and the noise of the extractor fan drives me nuts!