Would I cause an airlock doing this?

daithid2000

Hi,

The cistern of the toilet in my en-suite keeps flowing even though the tank is full. I think this happened before and it was because there was a build up of lime in the outlet. I want to sort this tonite so I was thinking of turning the water off at the mains and then emptying the tank in the attic, so I could then work on it without the water constantly flowing. My question, as a complete non plumber type, is would I cause an air lock doing this, or is it fine to empty the tank in the attic?

Cheers

There should be no need to empty the tank in the attic. There should be a red wheel/shut off valve somewhere that stops the water flowing to taps/toilets.

Follow pipes coming from bottom of tank in attic and look for one that is not connected to hot water cylinder. Try that one. Then check to see if toilet cistern refills. If it does keep flowing reopen the valve. Don't close loads of valves all at the one time.

Ideally there should be a shut off valve just at the toilet.

Or it could be in the attic right at the tank, or just behind or beside the hot tank.

Excellent, thanks guys. Found the gate valve in the hot press and mananged to remedy the problem with the toilet. Thanks for all the advice.