Working from home clarified

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a project from home at the minute for an Irish client. Some of my team are Irish based, some overseas. Our team works well together remotely and I've become quite friendly with people I know I'll never meet. The client's team also work well together. The challenge is both of us working together effectively

Last year, we'd have gone to their offices for a few days or them to ours, got in a big room with a whiteboard and trashed everything out. Fly a few people in if needed as well. Trying to do that via conference calls, when people are being distracted by dogs, couriers and who knows what and are often working their inbox instead of focussing on the discussion is far more difficult. You ask someone a question on the call and you find they've wandered off to make a cuppa but not said anything. It's difficult to share complex flow diagrams on screen when you could print them out, stick them on a wall and walk them through. It gets a bit frustrating after a while. Also, in terms of client management, you miss the body languague.

Looks like some employees working WFH but not now in Ireland are under instruction to be back in Ireland by end of year so as not to cause problems with tax residency but more importantly with corporation tax and intellectual property. If they are key technology workers and develop some new piece of technology then this could legitimately be considered the property of the home country and not "irish intellectual property". This a warning from Mazars reported on newstalk business this morning. So we could have an influx of technology workers back into the country in December, not even Tony Holohan will stop that even if he still shames irish people into not returning. Maybe thats the real reason why we never closed down air travel and hastily started very expensive private covid testing at the airport to facilitate this influx.

So we could have an influx of technology workers back into the country in December,

This isn't anything new. Most companies in this situation have made the requirements clear months ago. The big accountancy firms warned about this back in the summer.

not even Tony Holohan will stop that even if he still shames irish people into not returning. Maybe thats the real reason why we never closed down air travel and hastily started very expensive private covid testing at the airport to facilitate this influx.

Or perhaps it was just better than the Australian model of abandoning tens of thousands of citizens abroad with no way of returning home.

The WHO did not recommend a full shut down of air travel, and studies have backed up that such restrictions had little effect in the few countries that did adopt severe restrictions. Our own stats show that only 1.4% of cases are linked to international travel.

Do you still need your employer to 'sponsor' this claim or can it be made directly to revenue?

Either are still applicable as far as I know. Your employer can pay you up to €3.20 per day, or if your employer doesn't make this payment, you can claim relief yourself. If you claim the relief yourself, you can't claim the €3.20 per day, you need to do your own self-assessment.

For electricity and heating: it's bill amount multiply by days WFH, divided by 365, multiply by 0.1 (10%).

For broadband: it's bill amount multiply by days WFH, divided by 365, multiply by 0.3 (30%).

if both spouses wfh can both make the same claim or is one claim per house hold?

Each spouse / housemates claim individually, but can only claim for their own portion depending on how the bills are split. So if your broadband for your household for the year is say €800, you can't both claim you each paid €800, so spouses would probably find it easier just to claim on €400 each.

Can I ask this €3.20 is this only for Monday to Friday? My wife is salaried and being honest very well paid but she'd work on something everyday thus is the nature of her work....

Can I ask this €3.20 is this only for Monday to Friday? My wife is salaried and being honest very well paid but she'd work on something everyday thus is the nature of her work....

Unless the company are paying the 3.20 it wouldnt be that amount.
See the calc earlier on thread for 10 percent electricity and 30 percent broadband by actual days wfh.
It doesnt apply to ppl doing extra work in evenings only if you were fully wfh for the day.

The 3.20 is paid by the employer, so it's at their discretion, but Organisation of Working Time Act etc and pure common sense would argue against more than 5 or 6 x 3.20 per week. At the end of the day, if an employer pays whatever amount of 3.20's to an employee who is on a level of pay which means wage substitution is not an issue, Revenue are unlikely to split hairs over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back