Wooden windows

E

elly

Hi

Has anybody used MacMahon & Nagle for wooden windows. Looking at gettin french doors. they seem very competitive and efficient. Windows are Swedex. Would like to have a reference before we order.

thanks
Elly

Hi,

I would strongly advise against using them - we did and are now in our 14th week waiting - initial lead time was 6 weeks - they installed after 6 weeks but the doors they installed looked like they were put together and finished by my one year old - really shoddy workmanship - their excuse was that the factory in Sweden was so busy they outsourced some work (ours included) to another factory and that was the result. They said replacements would be in in a further 4 weeks - we are now waiting 8 weeks - have had 3 different installation times scheduled but the latest one (today) was cancelled by them as they've got stuck on another job after being stuck on the job yesterday as well and are since Monday! my advise go to another company - there's a place in Waterford we had gotten quotes for but they were slightly dearer and 2 weeks longer. Can't remember the name of them though.

oh dear. thanks for the advice. I guess we should think again!

Hi

I can't speak for the people you mention, but I can tell you we got our woden windows, french doors etc from Wright Window Systems - they are very well established and work throughout Ireland, I think.

Here's the link: [broken link removed]

I cannot recommend them highly enough ... for a company like Wrights, who are used to dealing with larger orders, they were excellent to deal with & both myself & the good lady, are very happy with the product & installation.

(I have absolutely no connection with Wright Windows btw, other than being a happy customer)

Regards

G>

Further update on our windows saga - our SWEDEX doors/windows were installed last week and they are fantastic - I take back any reference I made about shoddy workmanship that could have been related to Swedex.

My problem appears to have been only with McMahon & Nagle who it appears ordered our original windows (which we bought as Swedex) from another company - I contacted Swedex directly and they refuted any possibility that they would outsource their manufacturing process to any other company.

Any recommendations for window companies that supply timber sliding sash windows
I tried Wrights but they do not make Sliding Sash. Was recommend a company youghal glass, would love at least two more. Any tips

Drum, you could try a company [broken link removed]. They do traditional Up & Down Sliding Sash Windows amongst all types of external hardwood joinery.

elly said:
Hi

Has anybody used MacMahon & Nagle for wooden windows. Looking at gettin french doors. they seem very competitive and efficient. Windows are Swedex. Would like to have a reference before we order.

thanks
Elly
I've had some recent dealings with Mc Mahon and Nagle and I'm not very impressed -- they seem to be all over the place. I can get no good feeling about them.
Unfortunately I have already given them an order for some doors and seem to be stuck with them !

I decided to do some searching for some background information and came up with the following extract from the Sunday Post (Ref. Sun. 17th Apr 2005) :

" [broken link removed]
Sunday, April 17, 2005 - By Laura Noonan
Two directors of a Dublin window and conservatory company have been restricted as company directors for five years after a series of irregularities were uncovered in their company.

Mark McFadden and Ian Coogan, directors of MCN Windows and Conservatories, consented to the Section 150 restriction last week.

The company's business name, McMahon & Nagle, a long-established trading name in north Dublin, was leased from its owner who had no involvement in the running of the company.

The Revenue Commissioners, which had the company wound up in the High Court, are owed more than €115,000.

The directors paid themselves a net salary of €800 a week each. The full cost of their salaries was not known, as they did not pay PAYE or PRSI.

They had the use of luxury cars as part of their salary packages from the company - a Mercedes-Benz ML 270 for Coogan, aged 41, and a BMW 318ci for McFadden, 45.

The company failed to make many of its tax returns.

It paid no corporation tax from the time that it started trading in 2000.

The firm paid no Vat between November 2002 and July 2004. McFadden and Coogan also breached company law. Their company never had an annual audit and no annual returns were ever filed for the company.

MCN also failed to prepare any accounts for an annual general meeting or ever held an annual general meeting.

On a day-to-day basis, the company did not keep proper books. There was no record of payments, debtors, creditors, stocks or company assets.

Both directors agreed to pay €1,200 plus Vat towards the cost of the action to have them restricted.

They cannot act as directors of a company for the next five years. "

Maybe this is all ancient history and they've improved their act --- but it doesn't sound the best !

hi
i had polish timber windows installed last year,you have to remember they open in not out! creating problems fitting blinds,curtains etc.we had blinds fitted to the actual windows,fine i thought until you try and open the windows in fully,because the blinds are fitted to the windows they crash into the reveals and will not open fully,we had to widen the reveals!worth bearing in mind if you do decide to go down this road.the quality of the windows is fine.i won't mention the fitters,not enough time
best of luck with it

Looking to get wooden windows, or alucalad. Have received very competitive quote from Carlson but just got a call today (2 months after initial quote request!) from a company called "Polish Windows"? http://www.polishwindows.pl/ who are in the process of preparing quote - apparently changeover of sales personnel.

Has anyone had any dealings with them?

Before reading this forum we engaged the services of McMahon and Nagle. They failed to honour the contract and we had to employ a solicitor to secure the return of our 50% deposit. We would advise against dealing with McMahon & Nagle.

Back