Wooden slats on exterior of house

August

Hi,

We should be building a new house within the next 6 months if all goes to plan. I’m wondering about the wooden salts that I have seen on the exterior of houses. Is this option cheaper than going down the stone route? We would only be looking at using it on a section of the front of the house. Also what is the actual name for these slats?

I believe you're probably after cladding. This previous post has a recommendation for .
Leo

Thank Leo. Have emailed them now for more information.

Just wondering if anyone has used this on their own homes. How often would you have to treat it and is it less expensive than stone.

I knew someone who did have them. They can look nice, but I do recall he had to treat them every year. Depending on the area you are covering, they can be a good option, but do you want to treat them every year?

Personally I wouldnt want to treat it every year but I wouldnt mind sending me husband out to do it!! We will only be convering a small area so it shouldnt be too much work.

I think you have the choice of treating them, and then maintaining on a regular basis, or leaving them untreated to go silver over time. Coillte will be able to advise.
Leo

I got a response from Cedarlan - see below:

Thank you for your enquiry. Please find the attached PDF of the two types of Cedar Cladding we carry in stock, the Cedar TG& V (Tongue, Grooved & V-jointed) and the Cedar Shiplap Sheeting. The coverage of TG&V is 80mm, with the larger Shiplap covering 115mm.
We supply only these products from our Workshop on Monahan Road, Cork. (Please allow 5 working days for delivery of quantities over 30m2).

These two types of cladding have become very popular in recent months, in particular the shiplap profile which is being used for horizontal cladding on various developments and dwellings. (We recommend after research that both should be cladded horizontally, unless absolutely necessary. Vertical cladding is at the clients risk.)

Cedar as a timber has excellent duribility due to natural oils in the timber and has quite good insulation values, which are becoming more prevelent every year. The timber can be treated or left raw to become a silvery grey colour, which is becoming a growing trend specified by both clients and architects alike.
If being treated, we find a product by the name of Sikkens has always done the job, and this can be got in varying stains from most good paint suppliers. (Please note we supply the timber raw).

The cedar can be sourced in varying lengths fom approx 2 - 4 metres.

The rates are as follows:
Cedar TG&V : €52.50 per m2
Cedar Shiplap Sheeting: €52.50 per m2

Is there a cheaper alternative to the cedar cladding for external use. I want to use wooden cladding in an external porch area, but have been quoted €1200 for 17 sq metres.
My local hardware provider has suggested treated red deal as an alternative, but the carpenter is sceptical and said that the red deal would not be suitable for external use.