Wooden Floors treatment

jasconius

We recently had woodens floors put down - it was a solid wood and had a 'chinese walnut' finish.
The dog as expected is putting a few scratches on it everytime the doorbell rings - so I tested a sample with Ronseal wooden finish. After an hour or two, I found that a scaly crust formed on the sample - obviously it had been rejected.
Someone suggested we put down a layer of liquid wax as a temporary measure
Anyone know where you can buy this liquid wax?

We use Danish Oil on our wood block floors. You mention that the "finish" is Chinese Walnut; what is the actual wood? If the finish is something which has been applied to a softwood it may be that it is impenetrable to the Ronseal; if this is the case it is likely to be the same with Danish Oil.
I would suggest that you contact the supplier of the flooring to ascertain what it actually is.

Should you want to try the oil, any DIY store should stock it.

Someone tells me that it is a 'soft hardwood' with a chinese walnut finish.This seems to have been sprayed on in the factory and appears to be impeneatrable.
Does the Danish Oil penetrate the wood or sit on the top.
If it penetrates, I don't think it will be of use to use.
What we want is something that is neutral, but puts a layer on the top.

Danish oil will penetrate slightly as would, I think, just about any other finish. You could perhaps experiment with something like Briwax or similar on a spare block. Briwax is a soft wax, rather than liquid, that we use on old doors etc but may be worth a try.
Were there no instructions supplied with the material?
The only other alternative that I can think of is to sack the dog.

Back