Wooden Floors - problem

M

mrsberries

Hi guys,

Im new to this forum so not sure Im posting in the right section.
I bought an appartment to let back in January. As it was brand new we got laminate flooring layed in february. Last week we heard from the tennant that the floor had formed some kind of bubbling - in other words
the guy who put them down didnt allow for the wood to expand. From what I can gather its not a huge lump (yet!) but obviously want to get it sorted asap. We've tried calling this guy (found him in the city ads) and have left numerous messages with him but we've heard nothing! He wont answer his phone (even to id witheld ones). We do have a receipt but does anyone know if we have any kind of comeback on this?

Any advice appreciated :)

if it was laminate then there should not be much (any?) expansion. Would the tenant have spilled water on the floor? I dont think there is much you can do nd im not sure the carpenter has done anything wrong. But he should have the curtesy to answer your calls! Just remember that it is now the builders holidays so he may be off for a week or two

Not sure what you are describing. If the floor is warping, or bowing out then its probably as you say, not allowed for enough expansion. But bubbing to me sounds like water damage. We had some bubbling after a big leak. Also we have a skylight over the same point and I think its creating too much direct heat from sunlight on the laminate. So the water + heat is shrinking and bubbling our boards. Elsewhere, where theres been neither of these problems, the laminates are still perfect.

I also had a laminate floor and a water damaged area looked bubbling. I think they would look warped if there was not enough room for expansion and not bubbling.

I extended my house a few years ago, but, could not lay the wooden floors for some weeks, because, I was advised by Noyeks (who we bought the solid flooring from) that the newly laid levelling compound (cement floor) had to dry out. Otherwise, this bubbling would occur. I got a lend of a dehumidifier and it was amazing the amount of water that would be collected every day. The Noyeks representative then did a moisture test. I'm not too sure if Noyeks are still trading, but, any good supplier should know the drill.

Our builder would have laid the floor down immediately only I was otherwise advised.

Perhaps, you could take up the laminated flooring temporarily and allow the underneath to dry out or get a dehumidifier?

.... could not lay the wooden floors for some weeks, because, I was advised by Noyeks (who we bought the solid flooring from) that the newly laid levelling compound (cement floor) had to dry out. Otherwise, this bubbling would occur. ...

I can understand bubbling in a laminate floor, but not in a solid wooden floor. I am probably wrong, as I've not had much dealing with wooden floors, but I would have expected a solid wooden floor to swell not bubble. Also I'd be wary of drying anything too fast as it that brings its own problems. Cracking and shrinkage etc.

I can understand bubbling in a laminate floor, but not in a solid wooden floor. I am probably wrong, as I've not had much dealing with wooden floors, but I would have expected a solid wooden floor to swell not bubble. Also I'd be wary of drying anything too fast as it that brings its own problems. Cracking and shrinkage etc.

Aircobra,

You may be right, but, I just went on the advice of Noyeks and my architect. I have had no problems.... touch wood :) though with three kids they are marked like a skating rink in places! Wooden floors still beat having carpets!

Back