Wooden Floors - Options?

bosco1

I have decided on solid white oak for my sitting room. I am now trying to decide which type of wood would be best for my dining/sunroom areas?

I want something that is hardwearing and these rooms will have a fair amount of traffic. I had considered birch , but I was informed that this is quite a soft wood?

anyone have any recommendations?

it depends on your taste ... dark or light?
You can now get Laquor applied to the wood. i have walnut at home throughout the house and its prefinished with 7 coats of varnish and the top coat is the Laquor. This protects the wood and makes it tough

Why not go for white oak there too? Oak would be one of the most hard wearing woods (from what I've heard, just floored all my downstairs in it) so would probably be as good as any

maple is the hardest wearing wood, go for a lighter colour than the regular shades, remember the maple will lighten in the "sun room" as, and i'm assuming here, that there will be a lot of sun light getting in.

it's also the lightest colour wood available without specail order type woods.

I have solid Acacia - got it in Clondalkin Builder Providers - RRP is €36 sq/yd which is a lot cheaper than solid walnut, but it looks very similar, and imo, nicer.

Back