Wooden floors - how long before laying

KS1

I've checked the key posts and searched through some of the other posts on wooden floors. Looking for info on how long to leave floors in the house before I lay them. I have solid wood maple and the house is about 6 years old. I was told a week is enough. Is there any definitive info on this or does it depend on manufacturer, house etc.

I have nothing absolutely definitive but it seems a week should be ok.
This is provided that you have been living in the house and it has been running at the normal temperature (ie - heating on when required).
This would have to include the room to be floored obviouosly.
The moisture content of the concrete should be below 3.0 some will say 3.5 is fine.
Also I presume you do not have underfloor heating as it was not mentioned.

There is another option which I have used in my own house.
If you use an underlay call Elastalon (not correct spelling) you can put the solid flooring straight down and the moisture content can be up to 3.9.
This is what it says on the DVD explaining its advantages which I was supplied with.
The manufactures stand over it as well.

Good Luck!

if you have the time leave the flooring for two weeks with the heat on. check with your flooring supplier before using elastion, flooring installers i have met are not that impressed with this product. make sure your installer racks out the floor before installing , you should be present for this,watch out for clusters of joints and H joints, you shall want a consistent look to the floor.

I have had no problem with the elastalon underlay but if floor installers are not overly happy with then...
Placing the floor out before fitting is a good idea.
I have heard that when fitting a wooden floor the fitter should have 3 boxes open and take from each in turn to get a good mix.
Remember solid flooring is a natural product and what you receive may vary a little from what you saw on a shop display.

Back