wooden floors first...or fitted wardrobes first

stresshead

It's me again with more questions - I think this forum has taken away my ability to make a decision for myself!

Anyhow...I'm getting fitted wardrobes, but the wardrobe man is not available until September. What I'm wondering is if I have to wait until after the wardrobes are fitted to get the floors done (we're getting laminates in the bedrooms as they are easy to clean and we will be renting a room out). I had kind of assumed that this would be the right thing to do as the fitting of the wardrobes could damage the floors - is this the case?

Also in your experience - does fitting wardrobes do damage to the surrounding walls? i.e. should I hold off painting until post-wardrobe fit too?

Alot of the above depends on how neat your wardrobe guy is. It also depends on which you think will you will be changing first i.e. if you decide to floor first and do the wardrobe and 5 years later change the floors you will find it hard to do underneath the wardrobe and vice versa if you pull the wardrobe out the one you replace it with will have to be the exact same size as the previous one.

I fitted both laminate flooring and cash and carry wardrobes in our bedrooms. I recommend putting the flooring in first. That way there is no need to put beading on bottom of wardrobes and it looks very neat.

Unless the wardrobe fitter is completely careless you won't damage the laminate flooring as by design it is very durable and doesn't scratch easily.

I would also recommend that you leave the skirting off (or just temporarily tack on) until you fit wardrobes allowing you to push the wardrobes up against wall so there isn't any gap.

Go ahead and paint, fitting wardrobes is a clean job and shouldn't create a mess you can always caulk any small gaps between wardrobes and wall and touch up paint afterwards.

thanks guys, that's good, I think I will go ahead with the rest of the decorating so. It is impossible to tell what I will be changing first anyway so I don't think I'll worry about that! Right, time to get off my ass this weekend and actually do something so!

another thought...

if I do get my floors fitted first do I have to get them done all the way to meet the wall where my wardrobes will be in future? Or should I leave a gap? if you get my meaning?!

Yes, I recommend you floor the entire floor area so that your wardrobes will sit on the laminate. This will give a neat finish and avoid the need for beading around the bottom of the wardrobes.

Okay, you are wasting some laminate flooring that will be covered by the wardrobes but this stuff is cheap and not worth thinking about.

It is worth taking off the skirting in the room before flooing as this will give neat finish, avoiding the need for beading. Then leave skirting off until you've fitted your wardrobes so that you can push them right up against the wall.

i'm thinking of changing my fitted wardrobe with a bigger one with sliding doors. is it still ok to fit the old one that i'm going to remove from the master bedroom to my second bedroom? i will have carpet in my bedroom. do i have to do the floor first before getting the fitted wardrobe done?

Back