wooden floor in kitchen

pinkie123

hi ya - just wondering opinions on when you have wooden floor put in kitchen - do u take the boards just to the plinth or under the appliances altogether [integrated appliances] to the wall of the kitchen under the units. what is the norm for this can anyone tell me. I realise am inviting suggestions against wooden floors in kitchen but this is not my question :) and mind made up! appliances are not in yet also wondering if above answered should appliances go in before floor or after.......

Last edited:
If you put in the appliances first and then one breaks down and has to be taken out to repair or replace it is very difficult to do so if the appliance is sitting on the original floor as that will be lower than the new floor.So floor first I would say

Did you look into Antico or Karndean as Wooden Floor alternatives?

If your appliances are all integrated and not sitting on the floor, then it shouldn't matter. If the applicances will be on the floor, then listen to dinjoecurry. Personally I'd floor everything anyway, because it will be better for cleaning under the units, and if something gets moved for some reason the floor won't be an issue.

I ran the floorboards to the wall, but put down 9mm mdf under the units. The reason was to allow the solid wood floor move of its own accord (natural movement) without putting stresses on the plastic legs of the units. It's also easier to get the units spot on level by fitting in the ply as it's a pain messing with those plastic legs.

I've wall to wall bamboo with my units on top. (Integrated ovens & dishwasher.) Lots of reasons were given as to why I should do this, including "if you want to change your mind and change the layout of your kitchen" which I never got as it would mean changing plumbing, gas feed, electrics etc. which sounded like far too much hard work.

But there are two reasons why I'm convinced: 1. If an appliance is placed lower than the floor level of the rest of the room then you have to make a decision about the worktop. Either you have it high enough that you can remove appliances (such as dishwasher) relatively easily which leaves a big gap above the top of the applicance, or you have it so tight that the appliance can't be removed without taking up part of the flooring.

2. Plain and simple, it looks nicer! It certainly cost more but made things easier to fit and to clean, and in my opinion the finish in the kitchen is much better. I had tried hard to find reasons not to put the floor down first but couldnt find any decent reason to hold off.

And I won't say don't put wood in your kitchen; I will say be careful! Perhaps throw some vinyl down in front of your cooker and sink, it's heartbreaking to see how much damage can be done by dropping something small but sharp! Ban stiletto heels. As far as I recall, Lidl, from time to time, sell water alarms which are intended for wooden floors so that if your sink, fridge, washing machine or whatever has a problem you'll know about it in time to save your floor.

Back