Wooden floor expansion - Advice needed

floors expand or contract due to dampness. solid wood should not be floated and should be glued to the screed with powerful contact adhesive(60euro for 5l). Fixing on battens will lead to creaks. Years of experience

Re: Wooden floor expansion - Advice needed!

there is no polythene barrier under the floor but there is definitely a DPM under the floor slabs.

You must be joking that you have a floating floor with no moisture barrier between the wood and the concrete!! A few mill of foam is next to useless.

This is what the Brooks say in their wood floor brochure

Choosing underlays:
Cement screeds: polythene should be laid. If joints are necessary, these
should be lapped at 300mm and taped. The polythene
should be lapped up at all walls.

Then they mention the foam see here page [broken link removed] page 16.

I’d be having serious words with the chap who put yours down.

Also storing the boards in a house while being built over the winter would not have acclimatised the boards in any way.

solid wood should not be floated and should be glued to the screed with powerful contact adhesive

I helped a carpenter in Athlone put down solid wooden floors on to a concrete floor. He got me to glue them down with a really sticky tacky type glue. There was no way them floors were going to lift. That was about 3 years ago. I have been in that house since and the floors are still fine. They also have underfloor heating.