Wooden External Door

H

helB

hi
I am looking for advice on buying a wooden external door. We have been looking for a door with a 5 point locking mechanism but that is wood, not PVC. We haven't been able to find any company that will provide this. Some companies will, but only if we are placing an order for replacement of windows and doors, not a single door.

Any ideas on who may provide this would be appreciated.. (we are based in North Wicklow)

Thanks!

Give me an external door with a decent union nightlatch and union or chubb 5 lever deadlock if a front door or a union or chubb 5 lever mortice lock with handles if a back door.

Im not a lover of multipoint locking doors as you have to have a handle on them (ok if back door) and the door is rebated the whole way around which in my opinion makes the door weaker. The only advantage is that it is supposed to help the door from warping.

Any local joinery work shop will make one for you.

I disagree with you NHG - my local joinery couldn't make one for me and I regret it now as the door is a little draughty despite having a mortice lock in the middle and a litch 2/3 way up the door. While the multipoint locking door may have a disadvantage in the fact that you have to have a handle on the outside, I think this is a small price to pay for a door that makes a perfect seal.

i have multi point locking with no handle on the outside (from ARTIC DOORS - although i'm not necessarily recommending them)

Interesting that. How do you activate the multi point locking without a handle?

It may not have a handle outside , but it will have a pad on the outside instead.

it just has a key to turn on outside and knob on inside - am i misunderstanding multi lock system - three bolts shoot out when its locked is that what you mean?

I think rationel doors in Walkinstown do doors made of aluminium with a timber exterior. As far as i know they have a 5point locking system. (then again, i's dont be knowing much about doors!)

[broken link removed]

we priced a door there and it was €1300 excl. VAT and fitting. I think it would have been somewhere in the region of €2100 all in. The people in the shop did say that they were handy doors to fit though if you were DIY inclined!