Wood types for front door, sidelights etc

M

mumtoeta

We are getting our front door, sidelights and transom replaced and are going for wood.

One joiner has recommended red deal for the sidelights/transom and sapellia for the door.

Looking through a previous thread iroko seems to be coming up tops. However, any views on using red deal for the surrounding panels?

Thanks

Red Deal is a softwood and not suitable for outside use in Ireland where we have a cold damp atmosphere. You only want to do this job once, so stick with Iroko for it all. Sapelle is not an outdoor grade either.

try [broken link removed] .co.uk up north they have some very nice doors and sidelights you are looking for and they deliver down , worth a look

Thanks Chippie - However, I'm actually going for a particular door which has to be made to order.

Red Deal is a softwood and not suitable for outside use in Ireland where we have a cold damp atmosphere. You only want to do this job once, so stick with Iroko for it all. Sapelle is not an outdoor grade either.

The joiner has advised that iroko is not as stable as mahongany and is more difficult to paint over. Have you any views on that? Thanks

... as I said before mahoganny is no longer graded as being suitable for outdoor use. To paint Iroko, first you prime in aluminium wood primer and then undercoat and paint as usual.

Interested to see what anyone else has to add

Well Teak is probably considered the most durable wood for outdoor use, it is also expensive. Iroko which is pretty cheap is considered a good alternative. They are related species I think.

Using red deal (pine) for the panels (and posssibly the frames) will save money but it won't last as long.. having said that though, if you intend to paint the door then the paint will be waterproof and if kept in good condition and re-painted at appropriate intervals then whatever is underneath doesn't really matter. But once the paint becomes damaged you need to repaint straight away or it will rot.

Pine is physically soft and dents easily, that's a bit of a problem, Iroko would be harder that way.

Cheers
Joe

Another thing to consider if you are using Red Deal is to put wood preservative onto the door before its painted that will help to prolong the life of the door and surrounds.

we just got a new mahogany front door. I had it ordered before I read about it not being suitable for outside use. The builder doesn't think there will be a problem. Our front door will be partly protected by a large proch. Plus we'll treat as needed.

Dont panic over the mahogany, sapele is moderately durable, so properly treated should do the job.

[broken link removed]

sabre

Back