Wood plug cutters

karltimber

HI,

am finishing off an extension and am about to start skirting boards etc.
and want to screw the boards onto the walls & to cover the screw up.

Not a fan of hilti nails or "no more nails" etc and don't want to use wood filler.

so,
plug cutters - whats the difference in the two types available.
Some sets have a plug cutter & a chamfered cutter ?? -whats the difference.

instead of a set of cheap ones - what size single cutter & counter-bore will I get - and a good make so I will always have them.

thx

K

You'll need to get the chamfered (countersunk) cutter set. The boring bit will have a chamfered front edge to the cutting surface which will match the countersunk screw you use to fix the skirtings to the wall. A counterbore bit has a flat front cutting edge and is used to hide fixing bolts and other fasteners. Both sets include a plug cutter. Try to use a fairly thick skirting board because you'll have to bore a deep screw hole to allow for the length of the plug and there won't be much fat left in a thin board. Lastly, using a cutter in a hand drill isn't to be recommended, using it in a router will give far better results. For what you're doing I wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the set. Both the hole and plug cutter should have tungsten Carbide inserts and will have a decent lifespan if used properly. Either Aldi or Lidl were doing boxed sets of 4 sizes for very little money last week! The size cutter you require will depend on the size screw you intend to use on your skirtings. Plugging is also a neat way to fix window boards. Cut the plugs from similar grained wood to the board and it's almost invisible!

Either Aldi or Lidl were doing boxed sets of 4 sizes for very little money last week!

saw these alright, but the cutter are not what u think. they are punches for rubber or leather, they look like plug cutters but not actually,
thx

I've bought similar boxed sets from Lidl before and to be quite honest you'd be better off saving your money. The sets of Forstner and pilot/countersink bits i bought were poorly finished with the machining being pretty rough and ready. I'm sure with some file work and a lot of time I could have got them to work fairly well but those cutters are still lying, unused, in their boxes. You really would be better off buying a good quality product from the likes of Trend or the like.

I've bought similar boxed sets from Lidl before and to be quite honest you'd be better off saving your money. The sets of Forstner and pilot/countersink bits i bought were poorly finished with the machining being pretty rough and ready. I'm sure with some file work and a lot of time I could have got them to work fairly well but those cutters are still lying, unused, in their boxes. You really would be better off buying a good quality product from the likes of Trend or the like.

did so today - size 10 for the job now. will invest in a better pair of cutter & countersink later.

Lidl & aldi gear is ok but lacks the finish - hence why it cheap I guess

If you want to buy a set of top quality cutters Trend UK products are excellent and are available throughout Ireland. Their stuff isn't cheap but quality rarely is!

In my experience you'll save a lot of money buying Trend gear from the likes of Axminster rather than going to the Routing Centre.
Leo

I bought a router accessory direct from Trend UK last week. Not cheap when you add VAT, postage and convert to euro but I have to say their service is very prompt and professional. The accessory I ordered is solely available from them and is a top quality engineered product so I'd probably buy from them again.

Back