Wood Pellets - Bulk delivery, no side access

Peachie

Hoping to install a wood pellet boiler. The house is semi-d but the garage has been converted so there is no longer a side access. Also no rear access. I assumed it would be possible to have the pellets delivered in bulk (through a hose) either by running the hose through the house or else over the garage roof. None of the suppliers I've spoken to have experience of this and generally seem disinterested in helping me to ascertain whether or not it will be feasible. Is anyone else in a similar situation? Do you know of any suppliers who might be more helpful?

Thanks!

These hoses are normally 8ft long and cost about E200 each or more so alot would have to be joined together. The pressure required would also be huge so I dont think the hose option would be possible.

I was told by a stove supplier that it was possible to permanently install a 4" hose along the side of the house to bring it within reach of the truck's hose.

Last edited:
have you decided on a pellet boiler? Why not ask the pellet boiler supplier. We have just installed a pellet boiler 3 months ago and am very happy with the performance so far. The guy who installed ours was very helpful, gave appropriate advice on positioning etc and efficient in the way he installed the unit. If you need more info please ask again.
For the record, I do not sell or supply pellet boilers .
Optimistic

For the record I do sell hose. I am saying that it would be expensive to do such an option and I am not sure what pressure the pellet delivery trucks operate at.I have sold hose for grain trucks ( same principle for nearly 15 years ) and maximum length of these was 20ft. Most of these hoses are rubber on the outside and would rot in time if exposed to weather and an alternative would be Polyurethane ( very expensive ) and possibly hard piping a section and putting flexible where needed. Ask delivery company what pressure they pump at and what distance they can achieve. Most hoses for this application only work at 60 to 120psi.

Thanks for your replies. I had heard that the pellet companies use oil trucks with ?40-50ft hose. The house was previously heated using oil so it was obviously possible to deliver oil through the house or over the garage roof to the tank in the rear. We've met with 3 boiler installers so far but all of them are so new in the business that they don't have the experience of arranging bulk deliveries to a house with no side access. (And as I said in my original post, no joy with the pellet suppliers either - one said no to putting the hose throught he house, another said he reckoned his drivers wouldn't be interested in delivering to us as it would take so much longer than delivering to a house with better access.)
Actually that is one of my main reservations for going with a wood pellet boiler - the fact that the concept is so new and that everyone in the business is new to it. It really didn't inspire much confidence when one of the (prob most talked about!) boiler companies came to us and the guy told us he got into the business 6 weeks previously because he was "always into composting and stuff like that"!!!
Anyway I'll continue to look into it..thanks again!

I would not buy from a boiler supplier like the guy you mentioned. You need to buy from a company that is reputable and has been showing commitment to the system over time. The boiler we installed was from a guy who has been researching boilers for the past 2/3 years, before there was talk of the grants that are now available. Get someone like that. I reckon those guys will be there for the long haul. We used Haetright based in Co.Cork. They operate countrywide. I don't work for them.

Optimistic

The only supplier doing bulk delivery is Balcas, so you should talk to them before you go to any expense.

The continental standard is to use 30m hoses, not sure what Balcas uses, but they have an excellent website,

Kedco are providing bulk delivery to all their customers, prices are €165 per tonne, minimum delivery 3 tonnes. Trucks have hoses with a reach of 90 ft.

Kedco are now also in a postion to provide bagged pellets to non Kedco customers. Minimum delivery is 1 tonne. This is made up of (66 x 15kg bags).

Kedco charge more for customers who have not bought a boiler from them.

Kedco were not able to confirm whether they could bulk delivery to a house without side access.

Friend of mine owns the franchise for Kedco in Kildare, so if you are interested in getting info about them, PM me for his details

Chimpster, as per the [broken link removed], can you confirm whether you have any interest in that company?
Leo

Apologies Leo,

A friend of mine has recently taken over the Kedco franchise for County Galway. If anyone needs his details they can PM me.

Thanks Chimpster. As suggested by Extopia, perhaps you could post his details here, even just name/ trading name so that people can look his number up in the book.
Leo