wood floor-advice on type/fitters

bigf

I know wood floor has been well covered but 2 questions. Anyone have any experience with walnut. It very nice, but I’ve been told its one of the softer hardwoods and scratches easy. (I’m planning to buy a semi-solid for a new apartment living room). Also anyone ever use Premier Interiors in Churchtown in Dublin? Guy has the floor I want and he’s been helpful, but he comes across a little like an Arthur Daley with his pitches - which makes me nervous.
Any info/advice/experience appreciated. F

and we got quote of 3,700 euros for 44 sq yards. supply and fitted. few places seem around 3,500, but they didnt have exactly what we wanted. that any good?

For fitting alone - we're being quoted €800 for 40 square metres.

AFAIK, that is on the basis of 2 people for 2 days

Seems a bit expensive sor semi-solid? I am putting down solid oak on 25sm2 (~30sqy). The floor plus plywood for underneath plus sheeting comesto 1200 Euros, and the fitter would cost around ~800 mark but will prob lay it ourselves. You should shop around for the wood, I went to about 5 different suppliers last weekend and they all have different prices.

I got a fax in yesterday from the Hardwood Flooring Company in Lucan which had solid oak flooring from €14.65/sq. yard. I would prefer walnut but what is oak like?

Had the same solid oak floor fitted in two houses. Most recently got hall living and dining room done Bought the wood in Heiton Buckley's for €1500. Its pre varnished (about 16 layers I think) and looks great. We were ripped off on the laying of it though, so I won't say how much that cost!!

been away for a few days. yeah, other prices mentioned seem much better than what i've been quoted. thanks. going to try look around some more.

I was looking at Walnut recently (I think it was around €50 sqy for solid in Tubs n Tiles) and the salesman told me that when it scratches, it scratches white. You probably know this already, a lot of people don't mind but personally I think I would.

Yes I heard it scratches very easily too, stilletto heels, dogs walking on it, kids walkers type things etc, you would probably be better off with Oak, this is nicer too in my opinion.

the scratching concern is weighing on me, though the walnut is the only dark wood I like. The others have a reddish hue i'm not too keen on. I see oak coming up a lot, but its too light for me. One person (not the salesman) said `its not a dining table - people are walking on it' -- floors scratch/carpets wear.
maybe i'll just make everybody take off their shoes (and wear plastic bags on their feet)

we have a south american teak called SucaPira. It's extremly hard (3 times harder than native oak) but we have the same problem with the scratching - the laquer scratches on all woods but because walnut etc are so dark you can see the scratches clearly as opposed to oak or other light coloured woods. You have another problem with walnut whereby if you drop anything on it, it will dent and mark.

on a seperate note i just put down an antique oak pre-finished solid floor in an extension and got it for 28.50 per m2 from Doors and Floors.

nai, how much is the american teak (SucaPira) please?

bought it about 2.5 years ago - i think we got it for approx 52 euro per sq yard - that was a sale price.