With the benefit of hindsight..Mistakes you made: building your own house / extension

stapler

I will be putting an extension onto my house shortly.

I am interested to know, with the benefit of hindsight, what mistakes did you make when you were building your own house / extension? What do you wish you had done differently?

I will compile a list of any replies received and post it here.

Just to start the list off, when I built a previous extension, I should have made the utility room bigger (at least 11ft x 6ft).

Re: With the benefit of hindsight.... Mistakes you made

With any building works, work out your budget and add on 10% at least contingency, it is always more expensive, there are always extras you want!

- not enough plug sockets
- not thinking of all the electrical wires etc that should have been hidden before any plastering was done

IMO only...
increasing the communication (pressure) on the builder as the job goes on - i.e. last 30% of job is the most visible part but also the time at which the builder loses interest and starts thinking about next job ... so it is really important to put the hours in at that stage, talking, observing, snagging - keeping them on their toes really - to ensure that the contingency costs and timing of the job stay as close to plan as possible ...

There have been a few threads similar to this here. Check out this one specifically on wiring, and this wish list for new houses.
Leo

Think very carefully about the direction doors and windows open.

What is your extension for, e.g., kitchen, living area, bedroom?

Think very carefully about the direction doors and windows open.

What is your extension for, e.g., kitchen, living area, bedroom?

The extension will add on a living room and dining room.