Wiring heating system myself

ennisjim

Hi, Looking for a bit of advice here.

I'm not an elctrician but I'm handy with electrical side of things. I've wired up the low-voltage side of my UFH controls (stats, etc) and was wondering if it would be advisable to leave the mains-voltage stuff to the electrician or continue on and finish it myself. I have detailed wiring diagrams produced by consultant so I wouldn't need to figure out what to wire - just how to do it neatly and safely. There are pumps, motorised valves and relays but the wiring for these is all fully spec'd.

My concern is that my electrician will take a long time to get to do the job and that he has indicated that wiring the heating system would be 'extra' on top of his original quote. On the other hand, maybe this job is best leave to electrician for various reasons, eg. warranty/comeback/etc.

Any thoughts or feedback welcome.

Yes, warranty, comeback, fire risk etc are all important considerations I would say; is it worth the risk of potentially damaging an expensive installation for the sake of saving on paying a professional for a few hours labour?

Yes, that's my current feeling Carpenter. But on the other hand the provisional 'extra' he quoted was in 4 figures !

Try getting a few more quotes.

Remember that just because you're forking out €€€€s doesn't automatically mean you're going to get a good job done.

Just thinking about the ceiling light in my kitchen. The electrician put the screw that secures the plastic ceiling rose up through the light cable, piercing it. Wasn't a cheap job either.

Yes, that's my current feeling Carpenter. But on the other hand the provisional 'extra' he quoted was in 4 figures !
Fair enough, that sounds expensive ok, as Leghorn suggests an alternative quote might be in order.