Wireless router with NTL broadband connection

D

darraghdog

Hi All,

I have ordered broadband for a trial 2 month period with Eircom, I also bought a wireless router from them for 50 euro. I installed this and the wireless works great with my laptop.

However, I am considering switching to NTL before the trial period ends as it is considerably cheaper for more or less the same service. If NTL install, does anybody know if I can still use the wireless router I bought from Eircom ?

Many Thanks,

Darragh.

Hi,

Sorry I can't comment on the compatability of your Eircom router with NTL but can confirm that we presently use NTL with our router bought from DELL.

We initially had problems because we needed an IP address for the router and once we downloaded same from the DELL site everything seems to be working ok (touch wood)!

router

Im surprised they let you buy the router without committing to a full contract with them. I tried this a few months ago and they wouldnt sell me the router while I was still on the trial period. What was worse was the sales guy on the phone wouldnt even tell the make and model. He said to ring their helpline for that info, which conveniently is a premium line at X euro per minute, and thats to enquire about buying a product from them!!

What make and model router is it?

I have NTL broadband and a linksys wrt54G and its just the mutts nuts. Very easy to set up and secure.
One thing to bear in mind is that officially, NTL will not support a wireless router. I rang them asking could they recommend one and the guy got very defensive on the phone saying theyd be within their rights to withdraw the service if they found out I was using one. I think they get away with this by saying that a wireless configuration is a network, a network is for business usage and they dont support business usage. However its more probably their way of trying to scare people off neighbourhood sharing a line. oo, Im scared. Havent had a dropped line yet.

Hi Car, Suellen,
Thanks for your help... I think I'll give it a go - my one concern, as Car mentioned, is that when I paid 50Euro for the router that I did not actually "buy" it from eircom :) ... I would guess I did, as they sent one fixed router for the official trial period signing up, and then the second wireless router which I hope i bought ! without any hidden clauses ... I'll give them a call and let you know how it all turns out.
Darragh.

Hi Folks,

I just looked up the "linksys wrt54G", and the dell routers ... my laptop already has built in wireless capability. I presume I just have to buy the router and don't need a PCI card, or a notebook adaptor, or anything else.

This would mean if I bought the following I would be sorted :
www.shopireland.ie/electr...d-Router-/

Does anybody know if that's right ?

Many Thanks,

Darragh.

Not sure if you will find anything of use in my previous thread on this type of problem

Back