Wireless Router for Fibre Enabled Home

Lorim

Hi I have Magnet fibre optic cables installed in my home and want to go wireless, could anyone recommend a good wireless router please?

Does the fibre optic wiring have any relevance here? I suspect not in which case I would recommend any of the Linksys wireless routers as I have always found them easy to manage/configure and reliable. Better than the cheapo $30 D-Link DI-524 that I have at home anyway!

Thanks Clubman. You're probably right about the fibre thing - spiel I got from Magnet! I think I need a digital rather than ASDL (hope that's right).

I think I need a digital rather than ASDL (hope that's right).
Digital what? Modem/router? Surely Magnet supply this and then you just hook whatever wired and/or wireless LANrouter that you want into it?

Lorim,

You need to establish the 'presentation' of the service from Magnet - in other words, what does Magnet present as a physical medium for the service ? It is very unlikely (but possible) that the presentation is fibre in a domestic situation. It will be fibre coming off the road and then this will terminate in a box/device of some sort - it is the connection coming out of this box that you are interested in. If it is ethernet/RJ45 then you have a standard presentation that most of the routers you will see in the computer shops will work on. Asking Magnet should provide the answer, but equally if you look at it (and know what to look for) you could determine this yourself.

z

Lorim,

Your post is a little confusing. Magnet provides fibre based broadband access in the following new estates that have been wired for fibre:

Dublin
  • Grange/Clongriffin
  • Northern Cross
  • Beacon South Quarter
  • Chancery Lane
  • Balgriffin Park
  • Adamstown
  • Belmayne
  • Castlemoyne
  • The Coast
  • Castle Way
  • Fairview Close
Meath
  • Dunboyne Castle
Laois
  • Fairgreen Village, Portlaoise
  • St Anne's
  • Maryborough
If you live in one of these estates Magnet will provide a fibre based router. This router will presumably have one fibre port which you connect to the wall and one ethernet port which can than be connected to standard networking equipment for example a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

Back