Wireless network adaptor

pjq

I recently got a Belkin USB network Adaptor , to connect a second PC to Netopia router from Eircom . All is fine , except when I switch on the PC the wireless connection does not always work (50% of time), in most cases a PC reboot fixes it , and it then stays working .
When it does not work it still shows the+- 80% signal ,but all the little icons show that there is no connection. clicking "refresh" or "connect" does not help . In MS Network Connections (Win ME), "repair" button also of no avail :( .
I have searched for a similar post but didn't find it , please point me in the right direction

Do you have the latest drivers installed? The ones on the CD that came with it may not be the latest. Are there any errors reported in the Windows Event Log (Start -> My Computer -> right click and choose Manage -> Event Viewer -> System and check for anything that looks like it relates to the network adaptor)? Are there any diagnostic tools for the adaptor? Does it behave the same in all other USB ports?

What problem is the "repair" running into.

Is is failing at the "Renewing IP" stage or later? Is it completing but with no change in the connection?

The ports at the front of the PC probably connect via a hub hence the "can't get any response". Stick with the ones at the rear to ensure it's being powered up through the USB.

I had a problem with my Belkin wireless. It started dropping connections, speed was very slow for playing dvds over wireless. I contacted Belkin on the freephone number on the box, described my issue, and requested a replacement (lifetime guarantee)

A replacement was sent out a week later by fedex and I have had no issues for the last four months. Speed is consistent, connection never drops and dvds play wirelessly from my server with no issues.

Prior to contacting Belkin I had presumed it was an issue with my network setup.

I had a simliar problem with my Belkin usb wireless adapter, it was always dropping connections. I just stopped using it.

If I remember the repair button just ran and ran without result, will check detail next time .
The problem is to pick up the connection , it rarely drops the connection once established , whats worse , it knows that the that the wireless is there at +- 80%.
pjq

-can I use the 4xxx driver ( don't why old versions 1-3xxx are still on web) http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D7050&aid=5381&scid=0
It looks like you may need to match the driver to the specific variant of the device that you have. I guess that there are different hardware revisions of the same model and you need to match the relevant driver to yours. Check the packaging or case of the device to see if there is anything along the lines of 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx or 4xxx and, if so, use the relevant drivers. I would certainly try the latest drivers perhaps having first created an XP System Restore checkpoint (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore) in case you need to roll back.
- cant get any response from ports on front of pc
Odd - perhaps the adaptor requires self powered ports and cannot work with a bus powered port?

I set out this morning ( out of politeness) to say “ thanks for the all the assistance but I killed my dodgy wireless connection last weekend as soon as I started to fix the drivers and have not had a whiff of wireless since “ …. And then I gave it one more try
It is now working on the software 3xxx , I then input the encription key in the belkin menu ( still no joy ) and then went to the Wireless on the eircom site ([broken link removed].......) and in “advanced” I input the MAC # of the Belkin stick ( did none of this the first time and it still worked … most of the time ).
Hopefully it stays working ! spent last Saturday fooling with these drivers ,, , today’s too sunny and the garden wont be nearly as frustrating
pjq

Some of these have a Ralink chipset. I downloaded the drivers from their site. Replaces the belkin network manager and it is much better. The newer ones have a different chipset.

L

Leex,

I'm still not out of the woods , it works perfectly ..... sometimes . When I switch on the pc , it either decides to work .. or not to , rebooting helps ... sometimes .
Replaces the belkin network manager and it is much better.
Can you explain what you mean here .
Thanks
pjq
PS only bought the adaptor in december

If you have used a wired connection (cat5/6) before, check that this wired network connection is fully disabled.

Why? A wireless network interface should work fine even if there's also a wired one enabled and disconnected or connected to a network cable.

Just to clarify. I'm talking about one of the router port's only. I was using CAT5 to connect this port to my laptop, but I needed wireless flexibility. Until I disabled this wired connection completely, I was having very intermittent dropped wireless connections . (I'm using wired connections on the other router ports with no problems.).

Sounds weird - what make and model of router is this? Sounds like a potential bug that might perhaps be fixed by a firmware upgrade? The chances of this being relevant to the original poster are slim but not zero I suppose.

Netgear DG834G.

I updated the firmware all right, but this did not solve the problem. I sorted this problem by disabling the wired connection. I've had no intermittent wireless connection problems since (in the last 2 months).

Fair enough - but the original poster has a Netopia router so this advice which is presumably specific to the Netgear one is hardly likely to be relevant?

Back