Wireless modem and DECT phone

Valheru

Can these two devices affect each other? I am having issues with my phone losing connection but cannot say when it started.

Cheers

Valheru said:
Can these two devices affect each other? I am having issues with my phone losing connection but cannot say when it started.

Cheers

By wireless modem what do you mean?

Are you using a wireless ISP like Irish Broadband/Clearwire/Digiweb and wondering if their modem will interfere in which case I'm not sure but I doubt it (at least some of them operate in regulated frequency which should not overlap with a DECT phone).

If by a wireless modem you mean a combo ADSL modem/wireless router from say Eircom or one of the other DSL providers then yes it is possible. These generally use the 2.4Ghz frequency which is also used by many DECT phones, you need to check what frequency your DECT phone is using. If they are both 2.4Ghz you may be able to change the channels on the router and/or phone to ones that don't overlap as closely.

Hi,
Changed the wireless router channel and all seems to be fine now.

Thanks for the help.

This is wrong. DECT operates in the 1900 MHz band so cannot interfere with 802.11b/g (2.4GHz), 802.11a (5GHz) or WiMAX (2-11 or 10-66GHz).

ClubMan said:
This is wrong. DECT operates in the 1900 MHz band so cannot interfere with 802.11b/g (2.4GHz), 802.11a (5GHz) or WiMAX (2-11 or 10-66GHz).

Oops, didn't realise DECT had that specific frequency in the standard, I guess the 2.4ghz phones are not actually DECT then. Are 2.4ghz phones available in Ireland (I know they are in North America) that people (like me I suppose) might be getting mixed up with DECT phones?

The OP seems to have solved the problem by changing the channel on the router so I wonder is their phone not in fact a DECT phone but a 2.4ghz one?

They seem to be more common in the USA but I think you can use 2.4GHz cordless phones here in Ireland/EU but they are definitely not DECT. The original poster should check the frequency at which the phone operates. If it's not 2.4GHz then changing channel was irrelevant.

Guess I jumped the gun saying it was fixed. But have had no further issues since I changed the channel but it was intermittent in the first place so maybe I got lucky for a couple of days.

I have one of the BT cordless phone from Argos but I'll check the freq later.

Thanks for the assistance.

If it's a digital BT cordless then chances are it's DECT in which case what I posted above in terms of non overlapping frequencies applies. I believe that 2.4GHz cordless phones are not that common from retail outlets here in Ireland/EU. Not sure why.

For what it's worth [broken link removed] (Worldwide Digital Cordless Telecommunications) is derived from DECT but operates in the 2.4GHz band. It's like DECT for the USA (and other non EU regions?). Confusingly you do see handsets and chipsets marketed as "2.4GHz DECT" which is a contradiction in terms as far as I know since DECT is, by definition, 1900MHz.

I think that might be what got me as I thought I had seen 2.4ghz DECT ones advertised before. Interestingly I searched and found one on Amazon.co.uk yesterday advertised as such but when I researched the specs at the manufacturer it was in fact 1900Mhz.

I'd guess the WDCT system you are referring to might possibly be used in other areas outside the US as well. AFAIK the 1900Mhz band used for DECT is used in the US and many other countries for mobile phones so the true spec DECT phones would likely not be permitted.