Wireless internet & cordless phone

anam

We have a Zyxel router as supplied from BT in our hallway where our (only) phone socket is. We also have a cordless phone beside it. Both are attached to phone point via a microfilter as supplied by BT. Our computer is upstairs. We use a Belkin Wireless G USB Network Adapter on our computer to pick up signal. Problem is that when someone is on the phone, it cuts off our internet access. BT have said that the signals from cordless phones can interfere with the wireless signal. Is this true? Our signal can be abit dodgy at the best of times, but is definately zero when phone in use. Is there anything we can do to inhibit interference short of running messy phone cables up the stairs or changing phone? Apologies if this seems like a stupid question, not the best with all this technology. Thanks

I use a wireless router with a cordless phone and haven't had any problems. Are you sure it's not a problem with the microfilter?

Check what frequency your phone uses. If it is 2.4ghz then it could be interfering with the wifi router which also uses 2.4ghz.

However it may be possible to change the channel being used on either the phone or the router to avoid interference (2.4ghz devices actually use slices of frequency around about the 2.4ghz mark not exactly 2.4ghz and most routers and many phones can be set to use a different channel i.e. a slightly different slice of the frequency).

It could also be an issue with microfilters as CCovich says do you lose the wifi signal altogether or just internet access i.e can you still connect to the router's admin page when someone is on the phone? Do you have a wired phone you could try in the hallway while someone checks the wifi upstairs?

Thanks so much for your helpful replies, will check all suggestions, microfilter, frequency of phone and possible alterations!

Yes, try changing to channel 11 in your router set up as suggested below: cordless phones, WiFi and bluetooth all use the 2.4GHz frequency, though the seem to usually get on.

[broken link removed]

2.4GHz cordless phones are unusual in this part of the world. Most digital cordless phones here will be DECT which is 1900MHz.

Note also that while there are several WiFi channels only 1, 6 and 11 are (theoretically) non overlapping. If there are other 2.4GHz devices (e.g. your microwave, 2.4GHz baby monitors, 2.4GHz video signal senders, Bluetooth devices etc.) in or in the vicinity of your home and particularly if your neighbours also have WiFi then try to choose a channel which minimises environmental interference.
Problem is that when someone is on the phone, it cuts off our internet access.
Sounds very like a microfilter problem.
BT have said that the signals from cordless phones can interfere with the wireless signal. Is this true?
True but unlikely in Ireland.

The Zyxel wireless modem BT provide is also a disaster, I replaced mine with a Linksys that I bought in the bargain bin at PC World for €40 and it's a totally different experience, hardly any drop offs. The Zyxel used to sometimes cut off if someone else was using the interenet on our street! a bit too low powered for my liking.

Thanks for that Clubman, tried that with the one provided by BT but it's still as bad as ever, I imagine their newer models are better as Zyxel don't in general have a bad name for routers but there's a fair bit of problems on web discussion boards with the 660HW model.

Back