Wireless Dial Up

avantarklu

Have a home pc which I occasionally use for internet access. As such, have no desire to switch from current dial-up option to broadband. I want to move the PC to an other part of the house which has no telephone point.
Question is, is it possible to have a wireless dial up connection and, if so, what equipment would I need. Any help would be appreciated.

The only way to access dial-up wirelessly within your house would be to have another PC which does the dial-up connection via the modem/phone line and then uses something like Windows Internet Connection Sharing to share the dial-up connection to another PC in the house which connects to it (the dial-up PC) wirelessly). So this would require two PCs with wireless networking between them in addition to the existing dial-up setup. Otherwise a phone extension lead is really your only option as far as I can see.

At maplin you can purchase a "wireless" dialup - it works by plugging in your phoneline to an adaptor at the telephone point and then plugging in the other part of the adaptor anywhere in the house - which provides you with a new "telephone connection" - slight speed reduction I have heard but it appears to be what you are looking for.

[broken link removed]

Strictly speaking this is not "wireless" as it uses the electrical wiring to transmit the signal but it does seem to meet the original posters need.

I have also heard that there is a slight speed reduction and the specs at Maplin seem to confirm this as they indicate a transmission speed between "22kbps and 33kbps", I have seen up to 45kbps on a good phone line before so that would be a drop off in speed.

true, i suppose when they say wireless, they are saying wireless from the users point of view.

I had thought of a power line network solution but assumed that this would still need two PCs - I wasn't aware of the power line phone line extender. Interesting...

Update: [broken link removed] to the gear in question and there's some more detailed information available [broken link removed].

Maplin are currently selling a pair of [broken link removed] for €148 in case that's of any use.