Wireless Connection Types

Tuesday

Just bought a Belkin wireless router in order to upgrade to a wireless network at home(for internet mainly)I am currently setting up the wireless connection and am being prompted to specify the connection type based on the instruction provided by my ISP, I’ve emailed them for feedback on which they would recommend, but in the meantime, for my own knowledge, I was wondering if anyone could explain these:

PPPoE
PPPoA
Dynamic IP (1483 Bridged)
Static IP (IPoA)
Modem Only (Disable Internet Sharing)

Thank!

Assuming you already have broadband connected, you should be able to get these settings yourself by opening the configuration/admin page on your current modem. You'll need the VCI/VPI info too I think. If what you've bought is just a router & not a router modem, you'll need to set it up in bridging mode. The broadband forum on boards.ie has a good FAQ on how to do this, or you can search previous threads here also.

Yes, I already have broadband connected. Maybe it is a stupid question, but how do you bring up the admin/configuration page? and it is Modem with a wireless router so i assume i don't need to set it up in bridging mode.....Thanks for the help!

Back