Wireless (BT) signal too weak - help?

Shrimp

Hi, I have BT wireless broadband (ZyXEL Prestige 600 series) at home but since getting eircom Phonewatch installed I can't move the router upstairs (where I have my 'office') because they put in a new socket thingie downstairs to allow the broadband and alarm work together. The wireless signal is now so weak I can barely use my laptop (Dell/wireless) upstairs (my desktop copes better). (a) is there anything I can do to improve the signal? (b) is it true, as the eircom engineer told me, that eircom no longer installs new phone sockets in homes?? I had hoped to have a new one put in upstairs (ie that would work okay with the alarm) that would boost my signal in my office. Help? Thanks.
PS No problem if any possible solutions involve switching broadband provider, I had been considering leaving BT any way.

Is the wireless signal OK when you are downstairs? You could try installing a higher gain antenna if the router allows for attaching a new one but if the signal is being attenuated by the construction of the house or something like that then you may be snookered one way or another.

Hi Clubman, yeah, the signal is very good downstairs, no problems at all. It was never great upstairs, but was usable - it's definitely weakened considerably since Phonewatch was installed. I used to be able to move it upstairs and plug it in to an old phone socket but that won't work anymore. Will look in to your suggestion about the antenna, thanks for the help.

Hey Shrimp,

Funny, I am in almost the identical situation except I have Eircom Broadband as well as the Phonewatch...

My broadband was so weak it used to drop me. I spent hours onto their support and finally they sent me a new modem which has sort of helped but the best I get is "Good" signal - again, my desktop at home in the same room works fine. When I am downstairs with my laptop i have excellent coverage.

I have heard of a signal booster that you can put in the office, which should boost the signal, but dont know much about these or where to install it - do i also need a phone connection for this?

Sorry to piggyback your post but I have the exact same issue...

Hi Clubman, yeah, the signal is very good downstairs, no problems at all. It was never great upstairs, but was usable - it's definitely weakened considerably since Phonewatch was installed.
Only upstairs but downstairs it is still fine? I can't see why this would be related to Phonewatch. Are you sure that something else has not also changed at the same time - e.g. some other source of 2.4GHz interference coming on the scene in your house or a neighbour's (see for example) etc.?

I have heard of a signal booster that you can put in the office, which should boost the signal, but dont know much about these or where to install it - do i also need a phone connection for this?
No idea what you're talking about - you need to post some more specific details.

You can get higher gain antennas for some wireless routers which will increase the strength/coverage of the signal but maybe that's not the appropriate solution here?