Wireless broadband - question

onekeano

Just getting a new laptop that has wireless functionality. Currently have broadband installed. What would people recomend for a wireless router to optimise this option in the laptop?

Was thinking of this [broken link removed]

Thanks
Roy

The title of your post is a bit misleading since you are referring to wireless LAN networking here regardless of the type of broadband that you have installed (e.g. wireless, ADSL, cable etc.). Anyway this topic might contain some information of interest to you. I would recommend the Linksys router mentioned in there although I myself use a D-Link - also as mentioned in there. For what it's worth ITDirect in Parliament Street, Dublin 2 were selling a [broken link removed] for c. €79 up to recently and it is a very reliable and easy to use piece of kit.

If you cant get it cheaper local, the wrt54g can be got on komplett for 75, delivery is probably another 10e or so.
[broken link removed]

Id recommend it too as I have it in the house for the last 4-5 months error free, 5 mins to set up.

me wrt54g runs a very funky oerating system that I got from sweden called satori

wonderful stuff it is too.

tonka said:
me wrt54g runs a very funky oerating system that I got from sweden called satori

wonderful stuff it is too.

Do you mean that you hacked the Linksys router to run [broken link removed] in place of the default firmware? Interesting but not really of interest to a WiFi newbie I would have assumed...

Satori is supposed to give the wrt54g better performance. Ive been tempted for a while to put it on but Ive never had less then 95% signal strength 3 rooms away from my router so havent bothered. Agreed with clubman tho, not for newbies I would have thought.