Wireless alarm system - yah or nay ?

You would be amazed how easy it is for electricians to fish in cables into an old house. This is why I recommend a hard wired system if possible at all times. No Maintenance and 10 times more reliable.

Hi folks

Nothing much to add to this yet, but thought I had better jump in and correct a mistake I made earlier - the Menvier SD2 dialler is not a GSM device, it still needs a fixed, landline. The fact that it can send text-messages to mobile phones is what threw me.

'tis a pity it isn't GSM-enabled, as it's otherwise a fine piece of kit.

Still on the search for a GSM dialler now. As for the alarm installation, I'm getting prices on having the cables run for me - am not specifying PIRs, but will just go for perimiter protection (shock and magnetic sensors on all external doors and windows, two keypads, one Texecom Oddyssy bellbox, and maybe a couple of external floodlamps relayed off the alarm panel.

Am guessing the cost of running cable & fitting a wired system will come in at the same price as a wireless system in which case I'll go wired (one of the new Menvier M660 panels or else their old TS590/690s that I'm already familiar with).