Wireless adapter for PC

whackin

How do I make an ordinay PC with no wirless card work with a wireless modem? Are there adapters you can buy? And if so how cheap are they?

You can use a USB adaptor to give your PC wi-fi connectivity.

You can get lots of information through google about all of the different methods of connecting. Deciding on what type (regarding speed/security/etc etc) is the first step and from there you can use google [or people here on AAM with more knowledge than myself] to find the best prices.
This and this may help a little get your head around it.

Does the wireless modem (I presume you mean router?) have any spare wired ethernet ports and does the PC have a 10/100 ethernet card/port? If so then an ethernet cable will do the job. Otherwise you will need some sort of wireless ethernet card (e.g. , , plus etc.). Note that the links here are just examples and not specific product recommendations.

Post crossed with Satanta's.

Thanks. Yes I did mean router. I have an ethernet card port so I will probably use that to get started. I'll check with the other posts to deiced what type of adapter to buy.
Thanks!!

What make/model of wireless router do you have? They normally have at least one wired ethernet port but you may need one for connecting the (e.g. ADSL or cable) modem to the router unless it's an all in one modem/wireless router box. Probably easiest if you post make/model details.

Be careful with wireless USB adapters as they rely on the horsepower of the machine they are plugged into. I have come across situations where, under load, a low spec (P3 with 128MB running XP) machine dropped the wireless signal.

I borrowed one from the office last night so its all ok, managed to get it up and running using a wireless adapter.