Wire mesh

PGD1

Hi all,

I need to buy some wire mesh in bulk. I have a decent sized frui & veg garden and want to block of a certain section of it. Essentially, I need to build a side and roof over this area, but its about 25foot x20 foot to a height of 6foot or so.

I can see rolls of mesh in Woodies for cages and aviaries but it's about €40 for 6m x 0.9m, so the cost would add up.

Last year I used a fabric/plastic mesh which was not successful and it didn't hold a good shape and the birds were still able to get in and some holes were stretched bigger then usual.

Any suggestions on what to do or where to get mesh in bulk?

Thanks.

best thing to do is to go to an old style hardware store/builder's supply/garden centre (ie not a major chain as they will only expect people to be buying small amounts for various smaller projects) and ask if they do any deals on bulk-buying. many garden centres also combine pet supplies, and will have stocks of wire mesh etc by the roll not by the sheet, for aviaries etc. which is the effect you are looking for - keeping birds at bay! if these avenues fail you, as a last resort see if there are any bird-clubs in your area, as bird enthusiasts will probably know where to source the best-value mesh locally for building their aviaries. Sorry I couldn't be more specific:) but hope you find a supplier!

Mr Swallows bought chicken wire at the Co-op, on a roll, very large amount, probably more than enough for what you need. I think was around the €70 mark with a few bags of the metal clips which you hammer in. We still have a large amount left over and are putting it around the inside of a fence to keep animals out. But still plenty left. It is about five feet high and nailed to the fence. Sorry can't be more specific about length.

Back